An Online High School Diploma may be your ticket for graduating high school as well as your springboard to a first-rate education. Having a high school diploma has significant advantages over passing the GED, or the General Education Development test, which is supposed to certify academic skills at the high school level, but sets the bar much lower than a good high school education.
Many reasons exist why people are discouraged or prevented from completing high school in the traditional way. It’s important to realize, however, that adults with a high school diploma or GED earn an average of $11,000 per year more than adults who haven’t finished high school (US Census Bureau). Furthermore, those with diplomas make considerably more than those with GEDs. For more about the advantages of a diploma over a GED, see our article “High School Diplomas versus the GED.”
The variety and availability of online high school diploma programs can be both annoying and frustrating. Diplomas from quality online high schools are academically equivalent to those earned in the traditional high school setting, and should be recognized as such by potential employers and colleges and universities. However, searching for an online high school diploma program without knowing certain facts and pitfalls can waste time, money, and energy.
In determining the quality of a potential online high school program, accreditation and state approval are of prime importance. Programs accredited through agencies recognized by the USDE (U.S. Department of Education) are your safest bet in terms of legitimacy. These are usually regional or national accrediting agencies.
Regional accreditation is the most accepted in terms of transferring coursework or pursuing a college degree. If a school isn’t up front about their accreditation status or the accrediting agency isn’t recognized by the USDE, you may want to look elsewhere. Legitimate online high school programs must also be state-approved. This means they must be approved in the state from which the diploma will be issued, regardless of the state in which the student resides.
In determining the value of an online high school program, you will want to consider the following: rate of successful program completion, ease of communication with the school and with teachers, flexibility and delivery of classes, counseling and tutoring services, individualized programming, availability of specialization (engineering, religion, arts, etc.), dual credit offerings, and extracurricular activities or clubs.
To compile this list of the best online high schools, we kept the following factors in mind:
Distance education programs can carry the reputation of being “less than” their on-campus equivalents. With each school on this list, that is not the case. Every school listed in this article has received accreditation; many of them have been accredited through AdvancED or one of its counterparts. AdvancED is a nonprofit accrediting organization that conducts rigorous, on-site reviews with the goal of ensuring that educational institutions support all learners in realizing their full potential.
Through creative, challenging, and appropriate coursework, the best online high schools will prepare students to successfully transition into college studies or the workforce. Preparing students for success after high school includes offering college credit or dual enrollment programs, as well as career preparation, such as career certificates or training courses.
What makes a program affordable varies according to each person’s individual means; however, it always pays to look at the fine print regarding tuition, discounts, payment plans, and any additional fees. Likewise, if you have a student on the path to a college degree, consider if the online high school you’re interested in offers any dual enrollment classes. Dual enrollment classes give students the chance to earn both high school and college credit for the same course, saving money on future college classes. “Early college” or “pre-college” programs may even allow students to complete their associate degree while finishing their high school diploma.
All of these programs do come with fees, of course, but we’ve sought to compile a list that takes a diverse array of financial situations into consideration. Every school has a different tuition schedule; where one school may offer a generous payment plan, another might offer discounts. It’s important to remember that the price listed is for tuition only unless the amount is noted to be “in total for the program” or “all-inclusive.” Schools retain the prerogative to impose additional fees apart from the standard application and registration fees, including costs for transcripts, diploma copies, textbooks, exam proctoring, and more. Be sure to consult each school’s website to obtain up-to-date details on all fees, hidden or otherwise. Better yet, email a representative or schedule a call with an advisor to learn more and to see if there are any scholarship, grant, or discount options due to your financial situation — sometimes you have to ask in order to find out.
When information was published and available, we have included any available payment plans and special discounts, financial aid, or scholarship opportunities. Please note that all published fees are valid as of June 2018.
The Best Online High School Diploma Programs
1. Stanford University Online High School
Under the umbrella of one of the most competitive universities in the nation, Stanford OHS is a private independent school that offers a rigorous college prep program. Stanford OHS serves academically gifted students in grades 7–12. Students are up against tough competition for admission to the program.
Stanford OHS offers over 24 post-AP and university-level courses and more than 65% of the faculty members hold doctoral degrees in their fields. According to the school’s profile, their student mean SAT score is 1500 with a mean composite score of 33 for the ACT.
In addition to academic studies, the school sponsors events, meetups, online clubs, weekly virtual homeroom, science colloquium, and assemblies.
- Accreditations: WASC, CAIS
- Price: Tuition is $22,850 for full-time enrollment (4–5 classes).
- Need to know: Stanford OHS operates on a traditional school calendar; thus, interested applicants need to apply in the fall semester prior to attendance.
2. GW Online High School
George Washington University Online High School is a private college-preparatory high school that operates entirely online and is one of the nation’s first virtual high schools to be affiliated with a major research university.
GWUOHS serves academically talented students who seek to pursue a college preparatory diploma. For that diploma, the school requires 24 credits.
GWUOHS uses best-in-class curriculum from the online leader, K12. K12 is renowned for its rigorous, research-driven design, compelling interactivity, ease-of-use, and integrated blend of online content with hands-on materials and outstanding books. Courses contain asynchronous readings, activities, assessments, and videos, as well as live sessions conducted by the teacher at preset times. Upperclassmen can declare an area of concentration: science and technology, entrepreneurship, liberal arts, or design their own. In addition, all students participate in the unique, four-year-long Journeys Symposium.
Students are encouraged to take Advanced Placement classes and equipped to do so through initiatives and resources such as Summer AP boot camp, an AP Coordinator, and an assigned faculty AP Mentor. Additional programs/initiatives include college planning and preparation, 1:1 Orientation, Peer Mentoring, dual college credit courses, and student interest clubs and activities.
100% of graduates have been accepted to universities (ranging from Harvard to UC-Berkeley — there are too many top-tier schools GWUOHS have been accepted into to list here).
- Accreditations: Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commissions on Elementary and Secondary Schools
- Price: Tuition is $12,000/year.
3. University of Missouri High School: Mizzou K-12
The University of Missouri High School: Mizzou K-12 is part of the University of Missouri’s College of Education. The school enjoys the distinction of being the only program in the country supported by a consistently ranked College of Education at a research-intensive flagship university. The program aligns with national and Missouri standards and offers NCAA-approved classes.
Students may choose from one of two diploma program options: Standard Path(24 credits) or College-Prep Diploma Path (25 credits). Course options include AP, honors, special topics, and NCAA-eligible classes. Graduates have been accepted into some of the most prestigious and traditionally selective institutions in the United States, including Princeton, MIT, Dartmouth, Cornell, Rice, Carnegie Mellon, Wake Forest, and the University of Michigan.
Beyond academics, the school hosts student clubs, such as NHS and Math Club.
- Accreditations: Accredited by AdvancED and the NCA CASI
- Price: Each class (half credit) costs $500.
- Discount/payment plans: After course enrollment approval, a 50% tuition scholarship rate may apply for students with a permanent Missouri address or US students admitted into the University of Missouri High School Diploma Program.
4. Mother of Divine Grace
Based in Ojai, CA, Mother of Divine Grace (MODG) is a private school founded in 1995. The purpose of the school is to provide parents with the information, resources, and support necessary to educate their children according to the classical tradition. Mother of Divine Grace School offers a Catholic, classical approach to schooling.
Dual enrollment credits are an option for students; they need to enroll via their local community college.
Recent graduates of MODG have been accepted into Princeton, Stanford, MIT, Penn, Johns Hopkins, Dartmouth, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Notre Dame, Rice, UC-Berkeley, Georgetown, UCLA, and Carnegie Mellon. To earn a diploma, MODG requires completion of 22.5 credits (225 units).
MODG also promotes the fine arts with courses in music, visual arts, and performing arts. MODG offers families three program types based on the level of independent learning desired: assisted, directed, and enhanced directed. Mother of Divine Grace also offers supplemental course attendance, apprenticeships, homeschooling assistance, and teacher services/learning support.
- Accreditations: ACS WASC
- Price: Tuition is $820 when using one of the three payment plans; otherwise, a one-time payment of $720. There is a menu of extra fees (for things including different courses, Adobe labs, support) so be sure to review costs carefully.
- Need to know: MODG provides a Special Services Program as a supplement to their Teacher Review Program to help families who have children with special needs.
5. University of Texas High School
As an operation of the University of Texas, UTHS offers online classes for high school students. At present, the school serves more than 300 full-time students and has partnerships with over 250 school districts around the globe. Part-time and full-time students have access to coursework 24/7.
Qualified UTHS students have the benefit of selecting a dual-credit program through University Extension (the University of Texas at Austin online college program), which offers courses and exams in more than 60 subject areas. In addition, students may choose to take online AP classes, NCAA-approved classes, or classes for credit recovery. Since the state of Texas requires students to earn 26 credits to earn a highschool diploma, students typically enroll in 6–7 courses per semester to complete the required 26 credits in four years and graduate on time.
- Accreditations: Texas Board of Education
- Price: Each course costs $225. For full-time enrollment (12 semester courses), yearly tuition is $2,700.
- Need to know: Many courses are textbook-free. All courses and exams are designed by expert teachers and approved by NCAA and College Board.
6. Oak Meadow School
Based in Brattleboro, VT, Oak Meadow School was founded by a group of parents and teachers seeking to reignite their children’s spark for learning. The school takes a progressive, compassionate, and child-centered approach to education.
Students must complete 22 credits for the diploma and Oak Meadow School provides plenty of pathways to earn those credits, some of which are unique to this school. For instance, because Oak Meadow School supports the education of the whole person, the school offers credit for students’ work experiences and extracurricular participation (music, sports, arts, etc.). The Life Experience Elective Credit program permits enrolled students to earn up to one full elective credit per year for extracurricular involvement. Students may earn up to four credits towards their diploma through this program.
The school accepts credit for Advanced Placement, computer science, and technology courses taken through Johns Hopkins University’s Center for Talented Youth online program. Oak Meadow School also accepts transfer credit from CYTOnline, dual enrollment music credits through Berklee College of Music Online, and science credit for Cornell’s challenging home study course, Ornithology: Comprehensive Bird Biology. Oak Meadow School also offers credit recovery.
In keeping with the spirit of independent learning, enrolled juniors and seniors are required to participate in a self-directed, credit-earning Advanced Study Project over the course of a semester.
- Accreditations: The Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools (MSA), NCA CASI, WASC, NAAS, SACS, and the New England Association for Schools and Colleges (NEASC) NOTE: Oak Meadow is the first distance-learning school ever to receive such recognition in NEASC’s prestigious 130-year history.
- Price: High School Tuition is $1,800 per course for the 10-month school year/$1,080 per course for the 5-month semester.
- Discount/payment plans: Oak Meadow School offers a 10% sibling or military discount. Parents may either pay in full or put 40% down and pay the rest in monthly payments.
- Need to know: Many classes are NCAA-approved. The school also has a thriving National Honor Society program.
7. International Virtual Learning Academy
International Virtual Learning Academy (IVLA) is a year-round, online, private K-12 school based in California. Students may enroll and begin courses at any time, and all course material is delivered online, optimizing flexibility for students and their families.
The self-paced coursework accommodates a diverse learning environment, as do the six different curriculum options: Accelerate, Alpha Omega’s Ignitia, Apex Learning, GradPoint, Odesseyware, or Plato Learning. The school also offers five different diploma plans: Standard, College Prep, Honors, STEM, and Career. The school also offers AP and Honors courses. In addition, IVLA elective courses are designed to let students experience a wide range of life learning experiences to earn elective credit. A maximum of two credits will be awarded for outside activities or life experiences.
IVLA welcomes adult learners; in fact, the school offers an entire Adult High School online program specifically for non-traditional students.
- Accreditations: AdvancED
- Adult learners accepted.
- Price: Annual tuition is $6,030 with a $150 yearly registration fee.
- Discount/payment plans: 10% discount for military families and 10% multi-students discounts available (only one discount per family). Can pay in three installments, 10 monthly installments, or five semester installments. Add an additional $125 for each AP and Honors course.
- Need to know: Many core classes at International Virtual Learning Academy are NCAA-approved.
8. Laurel Springs School
Founded in 1991, Laurel Springs School is an online private school that focuses on a college preparatory experience with a vast range of academic offerings. Since 1998, Laurel Springs School has offered courses approved by the University of California for transfer credit.
Laurel Springs School delivers instruction through a series of asynchronous courses. The interactive grade book provides 24/7 access to each student’s progress and archives past quizzes and tests that can be reviewed online at any time.
This Upper School at Laurel Springs School, grades 9–12, has a unique range of core and elective curriculum. Students are encouraged to shape their education outside of core courses, with over 25 electives available.
Additionally, the online high school at Laurel Springs School has a Gifted and Talented Academy to accommodate students with exceptional learning needs. Students in this program participate in a more elaborate, in-depth study of major topics, and engage in problem-solving that integrates knowledge across systems of thought. The school also offers AP classes and has a chapter of the National Honor Society (NHS). There is a strong focus on college preparation, and students meet monthly with a personal coach to guide them along the college selection, readiness, and application process.
Laurel Springs requires 23.5 credits for its standard diploma.
- Accreditations: WASC, AdvancED, and SACS CASI
- Price: Tuition is $690/semester course or $990/year-long course. Tuition includes full enrollment, all course materials, syllabi, teacher services, semester evaluation, transcript, learning styles profile, and diagnostic assessment for grades 9–11.
- Discount/payment plans: 10% discount to families of military or with more than one child attending the school
- Need to know: According to the website, if upon enrollment at Laurel Springs School, you know that your child plans to apply to a University of California college, you should tell your admissions coordinator and school counselor. The team will work with your family to ensure that your child’s academic plan is created with attention to UC standards.
9. Christa McAuliffe Academy School of Arts & Sciences
Inspired by her life, and acting in her memory, Christa McAuliffe Academy School of Arts and Sciences (CMASAS) honors Christa McAuliffe by educating the next generation of leaders, scientists, philosophers, artists, and others to be fully prepared for the dynamic world of the 21st Century. CMASAS opened in July 2009 and is headquartered in Lake Oswego, OR.
CMASAS upholds a personalized education philosophy, using curriculum and teaching methods based on current brain and educational research. The academy also offers several high school diploma options based on student goals: standard, college prep, and career prep. Many extracurricular activities are available, such as language clubs, a student newspaper, and a technology club. Other programs offered include honors and AP coursework, adult high school completion, service promotion, and a global adventure program. For the diploma, students must earn 24 credits.
As a year-round school with asynchronous instruction, live interaction and assistance is available from instructors and educational facilitators. Instructors have times each week for discussion in the online classroom; they are also available by appointment.
The school has an active and thriving National Honor Society as well as a credit recovery program and counseling services.
- Accreditations: AdvancED/NWAC, NCAA-Approved
- Price: Tuition can be paid by year or semester. Annual tuition ranges from $5,495-$8,495 for high school students. Semester tuition ranges from $3,495-$3,995. There is a registration fee of $150 for semester enrollment and $25 for yearly enrollment.
- Discounts or payment plans: The school offers a Family, Military, and Friends Saver Plan. When two or more individuals from your immediate family enroll full-time at CMASAS, your family will receive a 10% reduction in tuition for new, subsequent student(s). Military families can enjoy 10% off tuition. Families automatically qualify regardless of number of family members enrolled. Discount applies to all self-paid military dependent enrollments.
10. International Connections Academy
Founded in 2001 and headquartered in Columbia, MD, International Connections Academy is an online school that serves students around the world.
This school is the winner of numerous awards in the field of educational technology, garnering the Cool Tool Finalist Award from EdTech in 2015 for IVA’s Virtual Music Tools and the Visionary Award in 2014 for its education management system. The school has also received CODiE Awards from the Software Information Industry Association, and ComputED Gazette’s Education Software Review Awards (EDDIE and BESSIE), just to name a few.
Students may choose from honors and AP courses or dual enrollment classes through ICA’s College Acceleration program. The program allows students to complete a high school diploma and an associate degree at the same time. The school profile indicates that the average student’s ACT composite score is 25 with an 1159 as the average combined SAT score. In ICA’s 2015 class, 100% of students graduated on time, and 100% of the students who applied to colleges were accepted.
In addition, the school has a partnership with Connections Academy schools and offers weekly National Counseling LiveLesson® programs that enable students and families to learn more about academic, social development, and career topics. During these real-time sessions students can ask guest speakers questions about their career choices and experiences.
- Accreditations: MSACS, AdvancED, NCAA-Approved.
- Price: Yearly tuition for upper school: $6,880 (8% discount if paid in full) for academic year. Other discounts available; monthly payment plans with 0% financing are available. Tuition covers all course materials.
- Discount/payment plans: Various discounts for siblings, children of military personnel, early enrollment, or early decision.
11. WiloStar 3D Academy
WiloStar 3D Academy provides a creative and unique online learning platform not found elsewhere: students participate in interactive 3D virtual classrooms. The program is a nationally recognized 3D curricula based and designed upon the constructivist learning model.
Using VR technology, students engage efficiently and tangibly with the learning process. According to the school website’s examples, students may role-play historical characters in history class, put on plays for other WiloStar3D students, create interactive games, or work on assignments inside virtual worlds. Students also have the option to learn 3D computer programming, work with graphics program, and address key 21st century learning goals.
WiloStar 3D Academy also provides full-time, all-inclusive, adapted programs and curriculum for students with special needs, with modifications made for software, learning tools, and assessments, all of which promotes creativity, engagement, and motivation.
The school requires 24 credits for the diploma, and WiloStar’s graduates have been accepted into the top colleges and universities around the US.
- Accreditations: AdvancED
- Price: Full-time tuition for one year is $3,499.
- Discount/payment plans: Siblings receive a 10% discount; payment plans are available.
- Need to know: All students are required to participate in community service.
12. Whitmore School
Founded in 1994 as CompuHigh, the world’s first online high school, Whitmore School seeks to provide a supportive, challenging, and alternative learning environment that emphasizes content mastery. In fact, as long as students master the course work, they will be awarded credit for the course.
Students may choose between two tracks for the diploma: general track (18 credits) or the college prep track (22 credits). Adult students are welcome to pursue diploma completion as well. All courses are self-paced.
Whitmore School graduates have attended some of the best colleges and universities in the United States and throughout the world. The school holds an in-person, live graduation ceremony every year at its headquarters in Morgantown, WV. Regional graduation ceremonies are also held throughout the year.
- Accreditations: AdvancED, NCAA-Approved
- Adult learners accepted.
- Price: $1499 yearly tuition for the diploma program, $1799 yearly tuition for the diploma plus program. Annual tuition for the adult education program is $1499. Tuition may vary by diploma program and courses taken.
- Discounts and payment plans: The Tuition Payment Plan allows you to spread the tuition payments over a period of six months. There are no interest expenses or additional fees for the Tuition Payment Plan option.
- Need to know: Courses are NCAA-approved.
13. University of Nebraska High School
The University of Nebraska offered its first secondary-level distance courses to 14 students in western Nebraska who needed credits in order to graduate back in 1929. These days, the University of Nebraska High School (UNHS) serves high school students in all 50 states and more than 100 countries.
UNHS provides 100 core courses, AP classes, and NCAA-approved classes. Interested students may also choose to enroll in fine arts, vocational, technical, health, career, or foreign language courses as well.
Students with a cumulative high school GPA of 3.0 or higher are eligible for dual enrollment; college credit courses are available through the school’s partnership with the University of Nebraska.
- Accreditations: AdvancED, Nebraska Department of Education
- Price: Each 1/2 Carnegie unit (1 semester course) costs $250 for out-of-state residents and $200 for Nebraska residents.
14. Indiana University High School
Offering distance education courses since 1925, Indiana University is certainly not a newbie when it comes to distance education. For nearly twenty years now, the university has also offered an online high school diploma program.
Students may submit applications for enrollment at any time of year. To earn an Indiana University High School diploma, you have to successfully complete at least 40 credits in various subject areas. Students can choose from one of three diploma tracks: general education, college prep, or academic honors. Students may also obtain dual enrollment credit through IU-Bloomington.
Support services are available. Students can call from nine a.m. to nine p.m. EDT, Monday through Friday, and talk to a live person. They can speak to their teachers and academic advisors during arranged phone conferences.
- Accreditations: AdvancED, NCA, CITA
- Price: Tuition is $252 per course.
- Discount/payment plans: Financial aid options include an Indiana University Tuition Benefit, a free or reduced lunch discount, and a scholarship program.
15. BYU Independent Study High School Program
Brigham Young University (BYU) Independent Study is a program that operates under BYU Continuing Education. Although BYU is a university affiliated with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, online high school courses are secular in nature.
The school offers three tracks for successful completion of high school curriculum: the Standard Program, the Advanced Program, or the Adult High School Diploma Program. The BYU Independent Study High School Program offers AP classes in Biology and Psychology. Courses can taken anytime, anywhere, and the school provides free tutoring for core classes.
While the adult program awards a diploma, the Standard and Advanced programs do not. Successful completion of coursework qualifies students to receive an official high school transcript and a letter of completion upon meeting program requirements.
- Accreditations: AdvancED, NWCCU, NWAC, MSA-CESS, NC-SARA
- Adult learners accepted.
- Price: Tuition ranges in price from $256-$55 per half credit, depending on whether the course is teacher-led, online, on paper, or a best value course. Some courses are quarter credits and cost $97.
- Discount/payment plan: One free course after every five courses for students who maintain a B average or higher.
- Need to know: All students are required to enroll in an online prep course (STDEV 051) to become better prepared to succeed in distance learning. It is recommended that students enroll in this course first. Courses are not NCAA-approved.
16. Liberty University Online Academy
Liberty University Online Academy (LUOA) is the online branch of Liberty University. All classes are presented in an entirely online format. Courses are taught from a Christian worldview with the Bible as the guiding lens for instruction. In order to obtain a diploma, students must successfully complete 26 course credits. Students may choose from three tracks for their diploma: Advanced, Standard, or Associate of Arts.
The Associate of Arts diploma is exactly what it sounds like: students graduate with a high school diploma along with an associate degree from Liberty University. The associate degree is made possible by the dual enrollment option. Liberty University provides online college-level courses in an eight- or sixteen-week format. Students are, however, limited to the number of courses they may register for in a term and in the overall program to ensure the focus remains on graduating high school successfully.
In addition to academic coursework, LUOA also has a National Beta Club that students may join.
- Accreditations: ACSI, AdvancEd. LUOA is also recognized by the Commonwealth of Virginia as a member institution of the Virginia Council for Private Education.
- Price: Annual tuition for full-time high school students is $3,568.
- Discount/payment plans: 10% discount offered to children of pastors, missionaries, military personnel, emergency responders, first responders, or students who already have two or more siblings enrolled. Interest-free, monthly payment plans (5 or 10 months) are available for a fee.
- Need to know: Liberty University Online Academy is currently in the course approval process with the NCAA Clearinghouse for their high school courses.
17. Texas Tech University K-12
The Texas Tech University (TTU) K-12 Full-Time Diploma Program offers a state-accredited alternative for students who need or desire the flexibility of distance education to complete their coursework and earn their high school diploma. Students may apply and enroll in the TTU K-12 Full-Time Diploma Program at any time throughout the year, and students graduate as soon as all of the requirements are met. Each summer, the university hosts a commencement ceremony on the Texas Tech campus in Lubbock, TX to honor that school year’s graduates.
Texas House Bill 5 (HB 5), passed by the 83rd Texas Legislature and signed by the governor, provides a new set of graduation plans. Every Texas student must have a Foundation Graduation Plan in place along with one of five endorsements chosen based on their interests. In addition, college-bound students must complete an endorsement and the Distinguished Level of Achievement. All TTU K-12 high school students must complete 26 credits for the diploma.
The program welcomes adult students and provides a pathway to credit recovery.
- Accreditations: Texas Education Agency (TEA), NCAA-Approved
- Price: Online classes begin at $225/class.
18. University of Mississippi High School
The University of Mississippi High School (UMHS) is a private high school within Ole Miss through the Office of Pre-College Programs. The high school’s mission is to provide students with an accredited quality education in a flexible, online environment.
Courses are available to meet the needs of a wide variety of learners, including the following: low-enrollment courses, interest-specific electives, college-remedial courses, courses for special needs students, and advanced level courses.
Dual enrollment credit is available through the University of Mississippi. With courses in Art History, Mythology, Mississippi Writers, and World Religions, UMHS offers an interesting array of classes in its college prep curriculum. The school requires 24.25 credits for the diploma.
UMHS welcomes non-traditional students.
- Accreditations: SACS CASI
- Price: The fee for a 1-unit course is $375; the fee for a 1-unit AP course is $425.
19. Excel High School
Located in Minnesota, Excel High School began providing online distance education in 2004. Their online high school diploma programs are 100% self-paced.
Excel High School has three available online programs: the standard, adult, or honors high school diploma. Not only does Excel High School provide fully online courses, but the school also provides all course materials on its online portal, making it unnecessary to order or ship physical textbooks.
Excel High School offers an advanced studies university preparatory high school diploma (24 credits), a standard high school diploma (21.5 credits), and an adult high school diploma program. Their programs are designed for students who wish to go on to pursue higher education through a community college, career college, technical college, or a university. Credentials earned at Excel High School are also designed to meet requirements for entry-level employment and prepare graduates to join the military under tier one preferred status. Counselors are available to assist with planning a pathway to a diploma.
- Accreditations: AdvancED
- Adult learners accepted.
- Price: Enrollment in the adult high school diploma program costs $99/month and enrollment in the standard full time high school diploma program costs $129/month. Special programs, such as the honors program, may cost extra. For annual tuition, Excel High School charges $1,290 per school year. Tuition prices are all-inclusive.
- Discount/payment plans: Monthly payment plans are available.
20. Griggs International Academy
Griggs International Academy (GIA) offers a full K-12 curriculum in regionally accredited programs. Since its founding in 1909 as part of the Seventh-day Adventist Church, GIA has provided a Christian education to nearly a half million people around the world. Griggs is an online Christian school affiliated with the Seventh-Day Adventist Church, and is owned and operated by Andrews University.
The school offers a dual enrollment program with Andrews University (MI). Qualifying juniors and seniors have the opportunity to earn college credit through the pre-college program at the cost of $100/credit hour.
GIA also offers credit recovery as well as tutoring by appointment. Students choose between a standard track (21 credits) or a college prep track (25 credits) for their diplomas.
- Accreditations: MSA-CESS, the Accrediting Association of Seventh-day Adventist Schools, Colleges and Universities. GIA is also approved as a non-public K-12 school by the Maryland and Virginia State Boards of Education.
- Price: Yearly tuition for a full-time student is $3,250.
- Discount/payment plans: Discounts for siblings. Monthly payment plans available.
- Need to know: All full time high school students are required to complete 20 hours of community service per year.
21. The Oaks Private School Online
The Oaks Private School Online (TOPS Online) offers more than 90 self-directed, self-paced courses available online or in-print. Students have the option to customize their curriculum, choosing from four different sets of materials (Honors, Christian, Secular, and Homeschool). Students can enroll at any time during the year and have a full 365 days to complete their courses.
In addition to its myriad course offerings, the school also offers students three possible pathways to a diploma: Honors/College Prep, College Prep, and Standard. Each pathway has its own set of requirements for graduation, such as number of credits, required GPA, and SAT/ACT score. The minimum amount of credits necessary for a Standard Diploma is 24 credits.
Unique to this school is the Acknowledgement of Achievement option for special needs students. The Acknowledgement of Achievement is designed for the student who has a background or diagnosis of below average learning abilities. Students in this program will be educated through curriculum recommended by special education professionals or curriculum chosen by their parents. Another unique diploma program is the Vocational Diploma for career-oriented students.
Requires a minimum composite score of 1170 on SAT or 26 on ACT.
- Accreditations: AdvanceED, SACS CASI, NWAC. TOPS is also accredited by the Florida Coalition of Christian Private Schools Accreditation.
- Price: Depending on the program selected, pricing ranges from $1,315 to $3,100 per year.
- Discount/payment plans: The school gives the option to pay in full or pay half down and the remainder over a ten-month period.
- Need to know: Community service hours are required.
22. James Madison High School
James Madison High School, a part of Ashworth College, enrolls thousands of students each year. Courses are offered with an open enrollment policy and are self-paced. James Madison High School helps students pick up wherever they left off in their high school education, whether they need just a few classes or an entire high school diploma program.
Students can pursue a general track or a college prep track high school diploma. Additional programs and initiatives offered are as follows: adult diploma completion programs, at-risk programming assistance, homeschooling courses, and summer school.
- Accreditations: SACS CASI
- Adult learners accepted.
- Price: Annual tuition ranges from $1,199 to $1,599.
- Discount/payment plans: The school offers sibling discounts. All James Madison High School graduates are eligible for the Alumni Rewards Discount at Ashworth College, the high school’s parent institution. Custom monthly payment plans, requiring a down payment, are available.
23. NorthStar Academy
With more than 200 courses to choose from, NorthStar Academy is a Christian online high school that provides students with a multitude of academic options. The school is the first of its kind to receive accreditation.
Parents who enroll their children in NorthStar Academy have the option to have their children in either asynchronous courses, where students go at their own pace, or they can take Enriched Virtual Classes, where they participate in weekly live sessions with teachers.
All of NorthStar's Enriched Virtual Program courses are NCAA approved, and the Academy has a thriving National Honor Society program.
Students can pursue the Standard, Advanced, or the AP International high school diplomas. Additional programs include homeschooling assistance, supplemental courses, Christian school support programs, dual credit college courses, Bible studies, and interest clubs.
In 2017, the average NorthStar Academy student scored 25 on the ACT and 1164 on the SAT.
NorthStar Academy offers many different start dates and operates year round. Students can benefit from a full range of guidance services, including college planning and a Student Success Coach to help ensure a smooth transition to online learning. NorthStar also offers Academic Mentors for those parents that need extra support in their role as supervisor.
- Accreditations: AdvancED, ACSI. NorthStar is also registered as a Network of International Christian Schools organization.
- Price: Standard offerings begin at $390 for a semester course or $615 for a year-long course.
- Discount/payment plans: The school offers nonprofit, school, military, and sibling discounts and four options for payment plans.
- Need to know: Students must complete coursework by their 21st birthday.
24. North Dakota Center for Distance Education
Established in 1935, the North Dakota Center for Distance Education (NDCDE) is a distance learning middle school and high school. Today, NDCDE offers over 300 online courses including all of the courses required to earn a high school diploma by the state of North Dakota. The courses offered include standard courses, electives, and AP courses.
The program also provides credit recovery courses, which are self-paced and feature auto-scored activities to provide instant feedback. The NCAA has recognized NDCDE as an approved online program for prospective student-athletes seeking NCAA initial-eligibility.
NDCDE employs full-time licensed instructors, offers more than 260 courses, maintains flexible, self-paced classes, and promotes direct access to teachers and tutors.
NDCDE accepts students throughout the year.
- Accreditations: AdvancED
- Price: $169 for 20-week core, elective, and CR classed for in-state students; $250 for out-of-state students.
25. Park City Independent
Park City Independent is an online high school open to students of all ages within the US and around the world. All courses are self-paced and students many enroll at any time.
The general high school curriculum includes coursework in applied technologies, such as computer science, business/career, and consumer science. The college prep curriculum includes additional courses in foreign languages. Park City Independent requires students to earn a total of 24 credits for a diploma.
Park City Independent also offers a self-paced adult high school program. Adults with prior content knowledge may be able to pass over a subtopic through pre-testing and possibly test their way through an entire course.
Additional programs and initiatives offered include credit recovery, supplemental courses, and summer school.
- Accreditations: Northwest Accreditation Commission AdvancED.
- Adult learners accepted.
- Price: contact the school for more information
26.The Keystone School
Founded in 1974, The Keystone School has a long history of offering distance courses and classes for credit recovery.
Students can pursue self-paced courses through two different tracks; students may choose from either a college prep track, with AP courses, or a career track high school diploma. Non-traditional students have two options for earning their diplomas at The Keystone School: the Diploma Program makes it possible for adults to earn a full high school diploma from home and the Career Connect Program lets adults complete courses and earn certification to take the next step towards a successful career.
The Keystone School students receive the advantage of interactive lessons, one-on-one teacher consultation, a resource library, and technical support. Additional programs and initiatives offered include supplemental courses, extracurricular clubs, and college and career counseling.
- Accreditations: AdvancED, MSA-CESS
- Adult learners accepted.
- Price: Full-credit online courses start at $399/course.
- Discount/payment plans: Families have the option to pay 25% down along with any shipping and handling charges at enrollment. Payment plans are available. Discounts of between 5–10% on full-time packages are available depending on the package.
- Need to know: The school’s website states that discounts are only available if you call them to enroll. These discounts are not given if you enroll online or by faxing or mailing the enrollment form and are not retroactive. Also, note that Keystone National coursework currently cannot be used for NCAA athletic eligibility.
Sevenstar is an online Christian high school whose mission is to provide outstanding online education that instructs the mind and heart of each student according to a Christian worldview. The school employs Christian teachers and approaches curriculum from a biblical worldview. Sevenstar offers more than 100 courses.
Many of Sevenstar’s courses have gone through an additional approval process for the University of California (UC/CSU) schools. In addition, many courses are NCAA-approved. The school also offers AP classes and has partnerships with several Christian colleges throughout the country. In order for students to graduate with an honors diploma, they must complete five honors/AP courses and achieve a minimum score of 27 on the ACT or a 1210 on the SAT.
Sevenstar also offers flexible credit recovery courses.
- Accreditations: North Central Association (division of AdvancED)
- Price: Standard core classes begin at $599. Credit recovery courses are $399.
- Need to know: Students must complete 40 hours of volunteer service each year that they are enrolled with Sevenstar Academy.
Headquartered in St. Louis, MO, the founder of Greenways Academy began this alternative school more than 20 years ago in order to give another educational option to students who weren’t performing well in traditional classroom environments. The mission of the school is simple and three-fold: motivate, educate, and graduate.
Through the online school, students may enroll in classes at any time of year and interact one-on-one with certified teachers. Greenways Academy also offers students the option of receiving one-on-one tutoring either in their St. Louis office or with one of their partner alternative schools around the country. The school will accommodate and modify for IEPs and 504 plans; teachers at Greenways Academy practice multimodal instruction. Students may also take courses for credit recovery while working towards the diploma.
Greenways Academy proudly boasts a 100% graduation rate and an equally impressive 99% college attendance rate.
- Accreditations: AdvancED
- Price: Greenways charges $360 per course.
- Discount/payment plans: Parents will receive a monthly bill of their child’s curriculum purchases at the beginning of semester and must also pay tutoring charges.
- Need to know: Students must enroll in and successfully complete Bible classes every semester.
29.The Ogburn School
The Ogburn School offers online, self-paced programs to students of all ages and from a variety of backgrounds.
Individualized curricula, self-paced courses, and open enrollment allow students of The Ogburn School to design a program that meets their needs. Students receive teacher support, grading services, and academic counseling. Honors courses and vocational electives are available. The Ogburn School requires 19 credits for the diploma.
Students can pursue courses or a certification program through The Ogburn School’s Academy of Environmental Studies, which the founders established because of their passion for environmental stewardship and conservation. In this concentration, students explore their interest in the environment through the study of conservation philosophy and methodology, including a focus on sustainable communities. A high school diploma with a concentration in Environmental Studies is awarded upon completion.
Additional program include homeschooling assistance, adult diploma completion, and summer school.
- Accreditations: SACS CASI, Ai, MSA-CESS, NCPSA, AISF
- Adult learners accepted.
- Price: Tuition starts at $1,295 for the high school program.
In 1890, Thomas J. Foster founded a school to help coal miners advance in their careers and increase safety procedures. Ten years later, International Correspondence Schools (ICS) formed as one of the nation’s first correspondence schools. In 1956, Penn Foster High School was founded to provide young people and adults an affordable alternative to traditional high school and equivalency exams. Since then, Penn Foster has transformed into one of America’s largest privately licensed high schools, with over 60,000 students, and more than 25,000 graduates each year.
Penn Foster has been educating students for 120 years and is now the largest high school in the US with over 40,000 students. Penn Foster offers an affordable, career-focused education. More than 150 courses are provided that enable high school students to acquire core competencies, as well as college and career preparation. Courses integrate contemporary learning strategies and interactive media and feature mobile-friendly technology.
Extensive student support services, including an online library, provide for student needs and interests. Penn Foster has engaged in an ongoing process to extend the accessibility and usability of their portals and content for students with disabilities including those of vision, hearing, and manual dexterity.
Traditional students and adult learners can both enroll in the high school diploma program on a year-round, rolling basis. Additional programs and initiatives are available, including the following: DANTES, veterans education benefits, Early College program, and a Career Services department.
- Accreditations: MSA-CESS, AdvancED, DEAC, Commission on Secondary Schools of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
- Adult learners accepted.
- Price: Annual tuition is $949 if paid in full. Other payment options include monthly auto pay or monthly bill pay.
- Discount/payment plans: Many of Penn Foster’s online education programs are approved for veteran’s education benefits. Reservists may also qualify for veteran’s education benefits.
31.Smart Horizons Career Online High School
Based in Fort Lauderdale, FL, the founders of Smart Horizons Career Online High School (SHCOHS) created the school in 2009 in order to address the nation’s dropout crisis. The school prides itself on offering affordable, career-based programs that serve adults and young adults who need high school diplomas in order to access better career and educational opportunities. Thus, programs at SHCOHS are aimed at adults or non-traditional students who need to finish high school courses so that they can move forward professionally.
At SHCOHS, students earn both a high school diploma and a career-credentialed certificate aligned to workforce needs. The program is 100% online and students do not need to purchase any additional materials.
Smart Horizons Career Online High School is part of the world’s first AdvancED/SACS/NCA/NWAC-accredited private, national online school district.
- Accreditations: AdvancED
- Adult learners accepted.
- Price: Tuition costs $1,386.
- Discount/payment plans: A payment plan exists that charges $77 at enrollment, and then 17 monthly payments of $77. Discounts are available for service members. Also, SHCOHS participates in the Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) program, which provides financial assistance to eligible military spouses pursuing certification in a portable career field.
32.Forest Trail Academy
Headquartered in Florida, Forest Trail Academy is committed to providing alternative solutions to meet the needs of students dealing with various life circumstances by providing national standard curriculum through an online learning environment.
Forest Trail Academy subscribes to the educational philosophy of personalized learning and is committed to offering an educational foundation that will serve students pursuing higher education and those entering a career path.
Students may choose to enroll in the General Diploma Program or the College Prep Diploma Program. The College Prep high school diploma track requires foreign language classes and that half of the program credits are specified rigorous-level courses. Parents and students can access the Advisor System, which offers assistance in course and program selections as well as college exploration and application.
Forest Trail Academy offers asynchronous online courses, open enrollment, AP courses, and credit recovery.
- Accreditations: SACS CASI, MSA-CESS, Ai, NCPSA.
- Price: Annual tuition is $3,100.
- Discount/payment plans: Payment plans are available, structured so that you pay $350 at the time of enrollment and $250/month for the remainder of the year.
33.National High School
Customized educational plans, cutting-edge technology, schedule flexibility, and self-paced courses allow National High School students to achieve peak academic performance. Through National High School’s Learn Center, students can access course syllabi, assignments, exams, and instructional guidelines, as well as interact with teachers and other students through dedicated chatrooms, email, and message boards. School administration offices can also be contacted through the Learn Center.
National High School’s curriculum offers a strong foundation and was developed internally with the assistance of SACS and the Georgia Department of Education. Courses were designed to promote strong critical thinking skills, as well as analytical and communicative skills. Additional programs offered include credit recovery, advanced and remedial courses, homeschool integration, an enrichment program, and adult diploma completion.
- Accreditations: SACS CASI
- Adult learners accepted.
- Price: The tuition for National High School’s programs is a flat rate of $199 per month for two or more courses; this rate increases if there is an increase in credit-hours within five months.
34.Alpha Omega Academy
Alpha Omega Academy (AOA) students may enroll at any time of year; the school offers multiple start dates. Once registered, students can choose from one of three separate curriculum plans, all of which educate from a Christian perspective. In addition to their online curriculum, AOA offers print-based options with LIFEPAC and Horizons. AOA requires 21 credits for their high school diploma.
Alpha Omega Academy also offers a variety of career and technical education programs, with electives or concentration areas available in the following areas: Architecture & Construction; Arts, A/V Technology, & Communication; Business Management & Administration; Education & Training; Finance; Government & Public Administration; Health Science, Human Services; Information Technology; Manufacturing; Marketing; Middle School; STEM; and Transportation, Distribution, & Logistics.
Students who wish to get a head start with college can benefit from AOA’s dual enrollment partnership with the University of Northwestern-St. Paul. This program is offered to qualified juniors and seniors.
- Accreditations: NCA CASI, AdvancED
- Price: Yearly tuition for full-time students taking six courses is $299/month.
- Discount/payment plans: Students receive a discount if tuition is paid in full.
35. Orange Lutheran High School
Located in Orange, CA and founded in 1973, Orange Lutheran High School is a private brick-and-mortar Christian co-educational college preparatory high school offering more than 40 classes, with core courses that are NCAA and University of California approved. Honors and AP classes are also on the menu along with dual enrollment courses where college credits are directly applicable to Concordia University and Grand Canyon University and may be transferable to other colleges.
The online program enables Orange Lutheran Online (OLO) students to earn their diploma anywhere, anytime. Since most OLO classes are accelerated eight-week semesters, full-time online students enroll in three or four courses at a time, completing seven to eight courses within a school year. If students live near the school’s campus in Orange, California, they also have the option of participating in a blended schedule, allowing them to take four classes at the school and three online.
Orange Lutheran requires 27 credits for a high school diploma, four of which are mandatory theology credits.
- Accreditations: WASC, National Lutheran Schools Accreditation (NLSA)
- Price: Tuition varies based on whether students are in an all-online or blended program and the frequency of the payment (options for annual, semester, and monthly).
- Discount/payment plans: The school offers lower tuition rates for students who come from an associated church.
- Need to know: All students must complete a minimum of 20 hours of community service each year.
36. Advantages School International
Founded in 2007, Advantages School International (ASI) is a 100% online school on a mission to provide online education, based on academic standards, while encouraging student empowerment and the development of socially responsible leaders.
ASI offers more than 400 classes, and core courses are aligned with Common Core standards and many classes are NCAA-approved. In addition, Advantages School International has a trained curriculum specialist to create learning plans designed around specific learning styles.
Students choose between a general studies diploma and a college prep diploma.
While the school welcomes students of all ages and backgrounds, they have a strong focus on helping adult learners obtain their high school diplomas.
Licensed teachers and advisors support students in achieving their educational goals. ASI administers the following programs in addition to the online high school diploma program: independent supplementary courses, credit recovery, programs for adult learners, and summer school.
- Accreditations: NAAS, candidate for NCA CASI
- Adult learners accepted.
- Price: Annual tuition ranges from $2,350. to $3,950.
- Discount/payment plans: Installment plans are available, and the school offers a 10% discount for siblings and active military.
Since 1985, Halstrom Academy has helped over 16,000 students with a wide range of needs reach their educational goals. The school enrolls secondary students who are searching for a more personalized alternative school experience with flexible scheduling options.
According to the school’s website, the difference between Halstrom Academy and all other programs is that their learning programs concentrate on a 1:1 student-teacher ratio. Through this, Halstrom Academy offers customized scheduling and learning plans tailored to each student’s skills, interests, and progress. Students and teachers can share information with shareable desktops and whiteboards, as well as a chat feature as they meet together. Teachers are also available through chat during online office hours.
Halstrom Academy provides AP courses, University of California/California State University (UC/CSU)-certified courses, and NCAA-approved courses. Classes can be taken on campus or online. It’s worth noting that Halstrom Academy students who apply to a four-year college or university have a 96% acceptance rate.
- Accreditations: WASC
- Price: Tuition is all-inclusive (except for general registration fee). Yearly full time tuition ranges from $28,000 to $42,000 depending on diploma track.
38.Oaks Christian Online High School
Oaks Christian School is a college preparatory, Christian school located in Westlake Village, CA. The school was founded in 2000 and has over 1,300 on-campus students in grades 6–12, and a growing number of online students from all over the world.
Oaks Christian Online High School is for college-bound, online diploma-seeking, serious students who want the flexibility and convenience of studying online. All courses are taught by Christian teachers from a biblical worldview. In addition, prayer is incorporated into the life of the online high school.
Full-time students are required to complete 23 units to earn an Oaks Christian Online High School diploma.
As students complete their diploma requirements, they are also permitted to seek college credit; thus, the school offers online AP classes as well as dual enrollment options. Oaks Christian Online High School accepts dual enrollment classes from: Berklee College of Music, Grand Canyon University, The King’s College (New York City), Colorado Christian University, Liberty University, and Azusa Pacific University.
- Accreditation: WACS, SAIA, NCAA-Approved (core classes)
- Price: Tuition is $7,995/year for full-time students.
- Discount/payment plans: The school offers three different payment plans.
39.New Learning Resources Online
Based in Jackson, MS, New Learning Resources Online is a distance learning program with a straight-forward delivery system.
Students of any age are welcome to enroll in the self-paced program at any point in the year.
Students can pursue one of two high school diploma paths: college preparatory (24 units) or career/vocational (21 units). Both contain the same high academic level core courses. The Career Pathway incorporates basic skills and knowledge with viable career preparation. Students are awarded a certificate of training completion in the vocational field they complete. Parents maintain the control of choosing between a variety of core course and elective options. Additional programs and initiatives offered are as follows: Job Corps Center, adult diploma completion program, homeschooling assistance, and student community forums. The school also offers credit recovery for students retaking courses or who seek to advance in a subject area.
- Accreditations: AdvancED, SACS CASI, Mississippi Department of Education (MDE), DEAC Member
- Adult learners accepted.
- Price: The total cost for all 24 College Preparatory classes is $4,915. The total cost for the Career Pathway program is $4,315. Both of these prices include the application fee and enrollment fee.
40.National University Virtual High School
National University Virtual High School (NUVHS) is a nonprofit organization and tuition-based institution dedicated to providing a quality education for each of its students. The National University System was established in 2001 to meet the emerging demands and challenges for education in the 21st century. National University, the flagship institution in the system, has pioneered new approaches to serving adults and veterans since its inception in 1971.
While distinct high school diploma options are not awarded, students are encouraged to pursue a college preparatory track, taking advantage of the advanced and AP courses offered. NUVHS also offers dual credit through the UC system and through National University, credit recovery, and NCAA-approved classes.
In addition, students have access to Student Concierge services, the National University e-library, writing and math tutoring centers, and college and career support centers. Counseling is available to students who may require emotional support as well.
- Accreditations: WASC-ACS and AdvancEd
- Price: Tuition is $310/semester course and $395/AP course.
- Discount/payment plans: Scholarship and financial aid are available for those who qualify. Contact the school to learn more about scholarship opportunities.
41.Liahona Preparatory Academy
Liahona Preparatory Academy is a Latter-Day Saint-affiliated private school in Pleasant Grove, UT that also provides a distance education program.
The school focuses on the classical academic base and on bringing a Mormon worldview to secular topics. Parents are also heavily involved with the learning process at Liahona Preparatory Academy: parents select the grade best suits their student’s age and skill level.
Liahona Preparatory Academy’s Distance Education classes are filmed daily at the academy for 32 weeks; core classes may be watched live with interaction from the teacher (Monday-Thursday between 8:30 am and 1:12 pm MST) or watched recorded at the student’s convenience. The school operates on a September-May calendar. The school also provides an ACT review class for secondary students through their junior year.
The school also provides opportunities to develop socially as well as academically through the introduction of interest clubs and activities, the annual Youth Conference, service trips, graduation ceremonies, and supplemental courses.
- Accreditations: AdvancED
- Price: Tuition is $2,700/year for full-time students.
- Discount/payment plans: Payment plans are available.
- Need to know: The only elective available online is Digital Journalism.
42.American High School
The vision of American High School (AHS) is to prepare students to be innovative, critical thinkers as they enter the global community as independent, creative, and productive citizens. Thus, AHS offers a wide breadth of courses in a larger scope of subject areas than other online high schools (courses include theater, family and consumer sciences, PE) as well as NCAA-approved courses. Credit recovery classes are also available.
American High School has structured and guided learning tracks. In the Guided Learning Track, students are an integral part in the development of their study plan as to support their academic needs and schedule. In the Structured Learning Track, students follow pacing guidelines in a structured study plan and school work is closely monitored by teachers and a counselor. This track requires a master schedule.
Student support services are available via Skype, phone, email, online chat, and an online communication section within the learning management system.
- Accreditations: SACS CASI, CITA
- Price: Tuition starts at $174.90/month.
- Need to know: Students with an IEP/504 and students seeking to obtain scholarships for college will be required to enroll in the Structured Learning Track.
Founded as a school in 1967, Clonlara School’s Home Based Education Program began educating students around the world in 1979. Clonlara School is a nonprofit institution that has educated over 40,000 students. For each student at Clonlara School, a personalized educational path, based on the student’s goals, strengths, and interests, is developed by school advisors, teachers, parents, mentors, and the student. For this reason, the school does not distinguish between high school diplomas.
The online program at Clonlara School is an educational option for students who are looking for ready-to-go courses. Clonlara School offers self-paced, flexible, teacher supported online courses for students in grades 5–12. All Clonlara School students are assigned an individual off-campus advisor who will work with them throughout the school year.
The student and their parent or mentor evaluate progress, with advisors assisting on content and learning approaches, educational materials, and resources. Other initiatives offered include college planning support, Clonlara Commons, home based education program, and supplemental course enrollment.
- Accreditations: Ai, NCPSA, Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
- Price: Tuition is $3,650.00/year.
44. The American Academy
Founded in Salt Lake City, UT, The American Academy is a private online high school that was established in 2007 with the vision to become the leading online educational services partner to public high schools throughout the US.
The school serves high school age and adult students worldwide who want to supplement their high school education and/or earn a full high school diploma. Students must complete 20 credits in order to obtain their diplomas.
The American Academy provides access to tutoring 24/7. While all interested students can benefit from The American Academy, the school has a particular interest area in helping students who struggle in traditional school environments. Thus, The American Academy has established a dropout recovery program for students who still wish to earn a high school diploma as opposed to a GED.
- Accreditations: AdvancED
- Adult learners accepted.
- Price: Tuition per credit is $119/quarter credit, students can take unlimited courses (up to 23 credits) for a one-time payment of $999.
- Discount/payment plans: Contact the school to learn more about discounts and scholarships.
45.K-12 International Academy
K-12 International Academy encourages students to master core knowledge, contribute to the community, embrace diversity, pursue academic and extracurricular interests, and reach their potential. K-12 International Academy has a strong international presence and offers a US high school diploma to students around the world.
Full-time students at K-12 International Academy receive a range of benefits including course materials, teacher support, orientation and onboarding, academic coaching, access to Family Connection, and college and career planning. K-12 International Academy offers personalized instruction through trained educators, a social learning environment, and an Individual Learning Plan. Parents are encouraged in their role as an active educator through an extensive parent network and staff support.
The school offers a Destinations Career Program including career and technical education tracks in Business Management and IT. Additional enrichment can be found with SAT/ACT prep, DIBELS screening, AP courses, Study Island, dual-credit courses, and student clubs and activities.
- Accreditations: SACS CASI, AdvancED, NCAA-Approved. Approved by the Virginia Council for Private Education and authorized by the Virginia State Board of Education.
- Price: Annual tuition is $6,995 for full-time high school students.
- Discount/payment plans: K-12 International Academy offers a 10% sibling discount. Contact the school to learn more about payment plans.
46. Calvary Preparatory Academy
Calvary Preparatory Academy operates in affiliation with Calvary Chapel of Escondido, now known as Cross Connection Escondido. The school offers a fully online program of Christian curriculum.
The instructional format is based on a blended model, incorporating elements of independent study with live, interactive teacher support. Students are able to access their course material 24 hours a day, 7 days per week.
Full-time students are enrolled in six courses per semester and twelve courses per year. Additional courses may be purchased at the single course enrollment rate. The school requires 22 units for a high school diploma.
- Accreditations: WASC
- Price: Tuition is $4,200/year for full-time students.
- Discount/payment plans: Reduced rates for students of missionary families as well as pastor’s families.
- Need to know: Students must take and pass three Bible classes (Old Testament Survey, New Testament Survey, and Tenets of the Christian Faith).
47. Franklin Virtual High School
Franklin Virtual High School (FVHS) sustains a student-paced online, interactive high school diploma program.
FVHS offers a streamlined Adult High School Diploma track. Other available resources include vocational education, college prep programs, homeschooling assistance, credit recovery, SAT/ACT test preparation, and summer school. Live tutor support is available from 7am to 11 pm EST every day except Sunday. Franklin Virtual High School welcomes students of all ages for their high school and GED prep programs.
- Accreditations: SACS CASI, AdvancED
- Adult learners accepted.
- Price: Tuition is $330/month for full-time students. This covers transcripts and diploma fees. Fees will vary for international transcripts. Additional fees exist for AP and Honors classes.
- Discount/payment plans: Contact the school to see if you qualify for a discount.
Blueprint Education is a private, nonprofit organization based in Arizona that offers self-paced, open enrollment online high school diploma programs.
Students can pursue either a standard or a college prep diploma option, with more than 100 interactive online courses from which to choose, including honors classes and more than 30 electives. Blueprint Education also provides complete credit recovery for all core courses.
- Accreditations: AdvancED
- Price: Tuition is $159/half credit.
- Need to know: At this time, courses are not NCAA-approved.
49.Christian Educators Academy
The mission of Christian Educators Academy (CEA) is to provide quality online education that is personalized and customized to each student’s individual needs while staying grounded in a Christian, biblical, worldview.
Students may choose their own curriculum (choose from Apex Learning or Gradpoint by Pearson). In addition, CEA uses Rosetta Stone World Languages, and offers Apologia as a Christian-based alternative for its science courses. Students can choose from three high school diploma options, creating a 3–5 year graduation plan: college preparatory track, honors/advanced placement track, and standard academic track. In order to obtain a diploma from CEA, students must meet Florida state requirements plus the requirements of their home state. CEA offers counseling services in guidance, career, and college planning.
- Accreditation: AdvancED, SACS
- Price: Unavailable at this time.
- Need to know: The school seeks to keep a low student-teacher ratio. Class enrollment for the 2018–2019 school year was full in April 2018, so apply early for future school years.
50. Western Christian Academy
Western Christian Academy is dedicated to assisting Pre-K through 12th grade families by providing quality academic programs from a Christian worldview through individualized learning, professional expertise, and reliable academic support.
Students may enroll at any time and choose from four different courses of study: honors, college prep, general, and vocational. Note that Western Christian Academy’s college preparatory course of study is designed to prepare students for entrance into most universities and colleges. However, because each college or university has its own entrance requirements, the student will want to consult with the school of their choice to create a high school program that meets the specific requirements of that institution.
Support is available for students through the “Teacher on Call” feature as well as digital tutoring, academic advisement, and online whiteboards. The school offers a path to credit recovery; a minimum of 24 credits is required for graduation.
- Accreditations: NCA CASI
- Price: Annual tuition is $2,361.
- Discount/payment plans: Semester, quarterly, and monthly payment options are available.
Best Christian Online High Schools
- Mother of Divine Grace
- Brigham Young University Independent Study
- Liberty University Online Academy
- Griggs International Academy
- The Oaks Private School Online
- Northstar Academy
- Alpha Omega Academy
- Orange Lutheran High Schools
- Oaks Christian Online High School
- Liahona Preparatory Academy
- Calvary Preparatory Academy
- Christian Educators Academy
- Western Christian Academy
Online High School Diplomas for Adults
- International Virtual Learning Academy
- Whitmore School
- BYU Independent Study High School Program
- Excel High School
- James Madison High School
- Park City Independent
- The Keystone School
- The Ogburn School
- Penn Foster
- Smart Horizons Career Online High School
- National High School
- Advantages School International
- New Learning Resources Online
- The American Academy
- Franklin Virtual High School
The Four Basic Types of Online High School Diploma Programs
There are four types of online high school diploma programs: private, public, charter, and college/university sponsored. Many parents of homeschool students turn to programs offered by private, accredited high schools for curriculum and assistance. Each program type has its place; it’s up to you to figure out which is right for you.
Public & Charter Online High School Diplomas:
Public and charter school programs are government funded, are offered by particular states or districts, and are free to resident minors. They are usually accredited regionally and are state-approved. Online public schools have rigid guidelines, have limited course selections, and often cater only to certain resident populations. Charter schools offer more flexibility with either specialized or individualized programming, but they run the risk of losing funding and are viewed as less stable. They are also often not available to students outside of certain districts.
Each state’s department of education maintains a list of funded online programs, including charter schools. Because these programs are based on each state’s approved curriculum and are restricted to certain populations based on residency and age, it is meaningless to rank these programs.
Private Online High School Diplomas:
Private online high schools vary greatly in terms of quality, recognition, and cost. This avenue demands the most research (which we’ve greatly assisted in) but also offers some top-notch education programs at great values. Private online high schools are usually offered nation-wide and have limited government oversight. They offer great programs in terms of catering to the needs of individual students, offering specialized interest programming, and meeting a variety of learning styles.
Homeschool graduates most often use private online high schools for the curriculum, even though they may receive their diplomas through their resident states. Many of these private schools have programs that cater specifically to the needs of homeschool students. The drawback of private schools: They can be very costly. Furthermore, even the most exciting programs need to be properly accredited for a valuable education.
College & University Sponsored Online High School Diplomas
University sponsored online high school diploma programs offer many programming advantages and often have regional accreditation. Most university sponsored programs offer a high quality education, flexibility, and advanced and dual credit programs. However, these programs often have more selective admission standards, have less interaction with instructors or services, and can be expensive.
University sponsored programs tend to work best for students who can monitor their own progress and work independently. Motivated students may have the opportunity to complete a full year of college courses by the time they graduate from high school. This can be a significant value for students planning to pursue college degrees. For the purpose of classifying high school diploma programs, programs offered by colleges and universities are usually not public, even if the institution is a public college or university.