Best Online Master’s in English Language Learning Programs 2021
thebestschools.org is an advertising-supported site. Featured or trusted partner programs and all school search, finder, or match results are for schools that compensate us. This compensation does not influence our school rankings, resource guides, or other editorially-independent information published on this site.
Are you ready to discover your college program?
The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that graduate degree holders have higher employment rates than those with only a bachelor’s degree. Earning a master’s in ESL is a great way to increase your salary as an English language instructor, and to qualify for more diverse and lucrative job opportunities. With the number of English language learning students on the rise in the United States, the need for qualified instructors is also growing, making right now an ideal time to begin a TESOL master’s program.
Featured Online Schools
The Best Online Master’s in English Language Learning Degree Programs
Choosing a Program
Most ESL master’s degree programs will offer slightly different courses and they may have different graduation requirements. These programs are not identical, and you will want to consider your own academic and professional goals to decide which type of program best suits you. For example, some programs offer the opportunity to pursue a concentration like multiculturalism. Pursuing a concentration will specialize your degree, may prolong your time–to–completion, and could impact the types of careers you consider after graduation.
Despite their differences, all these accredited online programs prepare you to effectively teach English to English language learners. TESOL master’s programs cover several important topics, including second language acquisition, theories in language practice, language instruction, and research. Some programs also require fieldwork, a thesis project, or an internship to graduate. As you search for the right school to complete your degree, consider how these different requirements fit into your educational and vocational goals.Return to the top
Online Master’s in English Language Learning Careers
Any graduate degree in teaching prepares you for a variety of careers; you are not limited to teaching. Experience with second–language learning is an especially valuable skill in today’s culturally and linguistically diverse workforce. The careers below are just a few examples of paths that graduates of TESOL master’s programs can pursue.
- Instructional Coordinators
- Instructional coordinators work at all levels of education, from primary to postsecondary. They create instructional material and curriculums, oversee their implementation, and evaluate their effectiveness and while making necessary adjustments. They may work in a specific school district, for an independent education company, or for the government.
- Median Annual Salary: $62,460
- Projected Growth Rate: 10%
- School and Career Counselors
- Advanced training in TESOL prepares you to work among students with diverse backgrounds and needs. School and career counselors guide students of all levels and backgrounds to meet their academic and career goals by graduation. These counselors generally work in secondary schools, but some may find employment in postsecondary institutions as academic advisors.
- Median Annual Salary: $54,560
- Projected Growth Rate: 11%
- Postsecondary Teachers
- A master's degree may qualify you to teach in higher education, particularly in community colleges. As a TESOL-qualified instructor, you have the unique qualification to work with students who may need extra help in their English-language speaking coursework. You may also teach English specifically to groups of these language learning students.
- Median Annual Salary: $75,430
- Projected Growth Rate: 15%
Source: Bureau of Labor StatisticsReturn to the top
Popular with our students.
Highly informative resources to keep your education journey on track.
Take the next step toward your future with online learning.
Discover schools with the programs and courses you’re interested in, and start learning today.