As the expansion of internet commerce continues and the global accessibility of goods and services improves, the demand for qualified professionals with expertise in international business is on the rise. Students who earn a Ph.D. in international business online can pursue a variety of growing career options such as market research analyst, economist, or postsecondary professor. The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) projects that employment opportunities for market research analysts will grow by 23% by 2026.
There are two options for earning a doctorate in international business. There are Ph.D. programs dedicated specifically to international business, as well as doctor of business administration (DBA) programs with a concentration in international business. While Ph.D. programs are more research-based and typically lead to careers in academia, DBA programs generally focus more on field-based experience and serve as a good foundation for careers in the corporate sector.
For career information, skip down:
- What Else Can I Expect from an Online Doctorate in International Business Program?
- Online Doctorate in International Business Careers
- Accreditation for Online Doctorate in International Business Degrees
- Paying for Your Online Doctorate in International Business
What Is the Best Online Doctorate in International Business Program?
1. Liberty University Online
Liberty offers nearly 300 online programs and enrolls students from 50 states and 86 countries. Liberty students earning a Ph.D. in international business online must complete 60 hours of coursework. Online students who live near the Lynchburg campus can choose to complete optional on-campus intensives, including an orientation, a colloquium, and dissertation work.
Learners take courses in foundational international business areas such as supply chain management, human resources, and decision-making. Applicants must have a master’s degree in a related field and a minimum 3.0 GPA. Liberty accepts up to 15 hours of previous doctoral-level credit. Applicants do not need to submit GRE or GMAT scores.
Liberty University is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACS). Liberty’s business school holds accreditation from the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs.
What Else Can I Expect from an Online Doctorate in International Business Program?
Student experience can vary widely for those earning their Ph.D. in international business online. Some programs can be completed in as few as two years, while other programs may take up to eight years to complete. These variations can be attributed to different dissertation requirements as well as discrepancies among program curricula.
Curriculum for an Online Doctorate in International Business
- Global management strategies and technologies: Students in this course use case studies to learn about information systems management and how it plays a role in collaboration, decision making, and business relationships. Topics include internet commerce and the relative advantages and disadvantages of short-cycle time approaches to the development of information systems. Skills learned in this course may be applicable to careers as top executives.
- Strategic innovation in globally diverse markets: Students examine the current global market and develop corporate strategies to account for various concerns and foster a competitive advantage. The content of this course may be particularly useful for students who are interested in pursuing careers as market research analysts.
- Seminar in multicultural management: This course teaches students about the growing need for a comprehensive understanding and respect for a diversity of cultural backgrounds in management positions. Students review research and case studies to gain insight into successful and unsuccessful strategies for harnessing the power of a multicultural workforce. These skills prove useful for graduates who pursue careers as postsecondary education administrators.
- Fiscal leadership in a global environment: Students in this course analyze global and domestic financial markets to gain an understanding of a company’s standing with the goal of optimizing financial decision-making processes and improving performance. Students learn skills such as financial planning, budgeting, and balancing risks, which are particularly useful for those who wish to work as an economist.
- Qualitative and quantitative methodology for applied business research: This course teaches students how to appropriately use the two major forms of research techniques. Coursework covers the practical, ethical, and political implications of conducting research. A thorough understanding of research methods may be particularly useful to students who choose to pursue careers as postsecondary teachers.
How Long Does It Take to Get an Online Doctorate in International Business?
On average, students must complete 60 credits to earn their online doctorate in international business. The time it takes for a full-time student to graduate can vary widely by program. Some programs can take as few as two years to complete, while others require 5-8 years for students to earn their degrees.
One factor that can heavily influence program duration is the inclusion of a research dissertation requirement. Most online international business degrees require students to complete one or two years of formal research on a supervisor-approved topic, formulate a final project or presentation, and conduct a defense of that dissertation before a panel of supervisory officials.
Another programmatic element that can affect program length is learning structure. Some programs use individually paced learning in which students complete their assignments asynchronously at the rate they choose. Other Ph.D. in international business online programs use a cohort learning style, in which students participate in class discussions synchronously at prearranged times.
Accreditation for Online Doctorate in International Business Degrees
Accreditation is the process by which a particular program is inspected by an approved agency and awarded a certification proving compliance with certain requirements. Agencies that bestow national accreditation usually do so for vocational and trade schools and often don’t apply the same rigorous standards as those favored by regional accreditation agencies. Employers may give preference to regional accreditation status when considering prospective employees. Students who want this competitive advantage in the job market may seek out regional accreditation status when earning an international business degree online.
There are multiple organizations involved in the accreditation of institutions of higher learning. Two of the most prominent agencies that award accreditation to doctorate in international business programs are the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs and the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. Students should look for accreditation by one of these agencies when enrolling in a Ph.D. in international business online.
Established in 1980, the U.S. Department of Education (ED) is a federal government body dedicated to improving student achievement and ensuring the high quality of education in the nation’s learning institutions. The ED forms educational policies, allocates the necessary funding, conducts research, and works to ensure that all students have access to the education they seek. Additionally, the ED recognizes various accrediting agencies; in order for an institution to receive federal funding, they must be accredited by one of these ED-recognized accrediting bodies.
Another organization involved in the accreditation of institutions of higher learning is the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). With over 3,000 degree-granting institutions as members, CHEA advocates for quality assurance in education through scrutiny and affirmation of different accrediting organizations. CHEA also promotes education initiatives, consolidates research data, and provides a national forum for discussion of ways to strengthen the accreditation process and cement its importance in higher education. The ED and CHEA both maintain lists of all accredited institutions of higher learning.
Employment Outlook for Doctorate in International Business Graduates
Doctorate in International Business Careers
Students who graduate with an online doctorate in international business typically pursue careers in either the corporate sector or academia. Typically, these positions require an ability to see the big picture and make calculated long-term decisions. Because the field of international business is dynamic, professionals in various roles like market research analyst or economist often focus on trends and other data in an effort to evaluate the current business environment and conceive forward-thinking policies.
- Top Executive: Top executives are responsible for the development of corporate strategies to move companies closer to their established goals in terms of profit or production. They usually monitor and analyze the budgetary and performance activities of the company and consult with other staff and executives to implement corrective measures to improve output. Most top executive jobs require a master’s degree, though some prefer a doctorate degree.
- Median Annual Salary: $103,950
- Projected Growth Rate: 8%
- Market Research Analyst: Market research analysts study market trends to predict the potential sale of a product or service. They conduct surveys and other research to determine public interests and values for the purpose of refining marketing strategies to increase profitability. An advanced degree may help a market research analyst achieve leadership positions.
- Median Annual Salary: $62,560
- Projected Growth Rate: 23%
- Economist: Economists collect, analyze, and interpret data for the purposes of understanding the manufacturing and dissemination of goods and services. Economists work for governmental institutions and private companies alike, researching economic issues and forecasting trends. Most economist jobs require a master’s degree or Ph.D., both of which boost employability and facilitate upward mobility.
- Median Annual Salary: $101,050
- Projected Growth Rate: 6%
- Postsecondary Teacher: Postsecondary teachers provide instruction to students in a variety of subjects beyond the high school level. These professionals also conduct original research and publish scholarly articles and books. Teachers must stay abreast of advances in the field of study they teach, develop lesson plans, and counsel students with regard to their educational paths. Most postsecondary teaching positions require a doctorate degree.
- Median Annual Salary: $75,430
- Projected Growth Rate: 15%
- Postsecondary Education Administrator: Postsecondary education administrators supervise faculty research, student services, and academics at institutions of higher learning. These professionals may specialize to work in admissions, the registrar’s office, or student affairs. They may also serve as provosts or deans, professions which usually require a Ph.D.
- Median Annual Salary: $90,760
- Projected Growth Rate: 10%
Doctorate in International Business Salary
In addition to factors such as experience and education level, geographic location impacts the annual earnings of graduates who have earned an international business degree. The next table features data from the BLS regarding reported employment numbers and salary information for economists by the top five U.S. states. Unsurprisingly, the states with the highest numbers of economists are more urban and populous with an accompanying higher rate of international business transactions. Areas like Washington, D.C., and New York are large international hubs, so it stands to reason that economists would be needed to fulfill the essential function of market analysis and policy formation.
|State||Employment||Hourly Mean Wage||Annual Mean Wage|
|District of Columbia||7,680||$60.29||$125,400|
International Business Professional Organizations
Professional organizations offer a variety of resources to both current students and recent graduates who have earned a degree in international business. Common benefits include reduced membership rates for students, online libraries of academic journals and other scholarly publications, and invitations to annual conferences where students can interact with their peers and network with potential future employers. These professional associations give members a chance to form symbiotic business relationships and leverage their studies into professional success.
- International Chamber of Commerce (ICC): With more than six million members in over 100 countries, ICC endeavors to promote responsible international trade through advocacy and policies regarding international commerce.
- International Association of Business Communicators (IABC): A global membership association that includes several Fortune 500 companies, IABC offers benefits like an international communication network, publications on current trends in the field, and the opportunity to attend an annual global conference.
- World Economics Association (WEA): Geared primarily toward economists, the WEA embraces multiple approaches to the study of economics through its online journals and conferences. Members enjoy access to a virtual library of books covering a variety of topics in international economics.
Paying for Your Online Doctorate in International Business
Students earning their online doctorate in international business have many funding options to choose from at the federal, state, local, and private levels. As a foundational step, most college and graduate students should complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), which determines eligibility for federal as well as many forms of private financial aid. Other sources of financial aid include scholarships and loans, which can come from public or private organizations. Additionally, students who are continuing to work while earning their Ph.D. in international business online can explore tuition reimbursement programs, which helps them recoup tuition and other educational expenses up to a certain amount each year from their employer.
Some forms of financial aid cater to students earning a degree in international business. These include school-specific scholarships, which may be based on financial need or academic merit, and private grants from associations in the field. In addition to financial and academic considerations, other criteria for grant eligibility may include residency status and community involvement. Because there are so many options available from so many different sources, students should explore every avenue for the financial aid they need to complete their Ph.D. in international business online.