George Mason University Online
thebestschools.org is an advertising-supported site. Featured or trusted partner programs and all school search, finder, or match results are for schools that compensate us. This compensation does not influence our school rankings, resource guides, or other editorially-independent information published on this site.
Are you ready to discover your college program?
- Largest public research university in Virginia.
- 80% of graduates find employment within six months of graduation.
- Four campus locations in Virginia and one in South Korea.
- A military-friendly school that boasts an office of military services.
George Mason University, a public research institution based in Fairfax County, Virginia, enrolls more than 34,000 students at 10 schools and colleges. Established in 1949 as part of the University of Virginia system, the university became independent in 1972. Today, George Mason serves around 25,000 undergraduates through more than 80 majors. Over 11,000 graduate students take part in George Mason's 200-plus professional, master's, doctoral, and certificate programs.
The university offers a variety of fully online and hybrid programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Online learners take courses asynchronously and synchronously.
George Mason University Recognized as an Online College Leader
TBS has recognized George Mason University as a leader of online education in the area of education & teaching for having several ranking online programs, offered by the Graduate School of Education.
Graduate School of Education
The Graduate School of Education, one half of the College of Education and Human Development at George Mason University, offers a variety of graduate, doctoral, and professional programs. Busy, working educators and administrators seeking to advance their careers enjoy flexible, professionally-focused programs in topics including learning and human development, learning technologies, education, special education, and educational leadership. Students benefit from accelerated and online degree programs, access to centers, labs, and institutes, and professional experience opportunities. The College of Education and Human Development is accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation.
The Graduate School of Education offers online degree programs featured in the following rankings:
- Best Online Master's in Curriculum and Instruction Degree Programs
- Best Online Master's in Early Childhood Education Degree Programs
- Best Online Master's in Educational Technology Degree Programs
- Best Online Master's in Reading Programs
- Best Online Master's in Special Education Degree Programs
- Best Online Teaching Degrees
George Mason University Tuition, Accreditation, and Admission Info
- In-state undergraduate: $377.50 per credit
- Out-of-state undergraduate: $1,355 per credit
- In-state graduate online: $630.75-$1,000 per credit
- Out-of-state graduate online: $650-$1,000 per credit
Accreditation and Approvals
George Mason is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges, while its school of business holds accreditation from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business.
George Mason's schools maintain numerous additional accreditations from organizations, including the Council on Education for Public Health, the Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education, the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology, the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, and the Council on Social Work Education.
Prospective first-year students must submit official high school transcripts, SAT or ACT scores, and two letters of recommendation. George Mason strongly recommends that each applicant submits a 250-word personal statement detailing why they want to go to college. Some majors, such as the bachelor of science in nursing program, require a separate application process. George Mason University acceptance rate for undergraduate students is 81%.
Admission requirements vary by graduate program. At minimum, each candidate must hold a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution and a 3.0 GPA. Some programs also require higher GPAs, recommendation letters, professional experience, personal statements, or standardized test scores.
- Percentage of undergraduates enrolled in some distance education: 29%
- Student-to-faculty ratio: 16:1
- Percentage of full-time beginning undergraduates receiving any financial aid: 75%
- Date founded: 1949
- Accreditation: Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- Full-Time Freshman Retention Rate: 88%
- Required Standardized Test(s): SAT or ACT for undergraduate programs; GRE or GMAT for some graduate programs
- Public/Private: Public
- Acceptance Rate: 81%
- Graduation Rate: 71%
- Athletics: NCAA Division I Atlantic 10 Conference
- Mascot: Patriots
- Colors: Green and gold
- Address: 4400 University Drive, Fairfax, Virginia 22030
- Phone Number: (703) 993-1000
- Social Media: Facebook; Twitter; Instagram
George Mason University Online Degrees Offered
- Nine online bachelor's programs
- 28 online master's programs
- 21 online graduate certificates programs
George Mason University Rankings on TBS
- The Best Online Colleges for Military Personnel & Families
- The 50 Best Video Game Design Schools
- The Best Online Colleges in Virginia for 2018
Online Bachelor's Degree Rankings
- The 25 Best Online Bachelor's in Cybercrime Programs
- The 25 Best Online Bachelor’s in Information Technology Degree Programs
- The 50 Best Online Bachelor's in Nursing Programs
Online Master's Degree Rankings
- The 50 Best Online MBA Programs
- The Best Online MBA Programs with No GMAT Required
- The Best Online Teaching Degrees
- The 20 Best Online Master’s of Information Technology (IT) Degree Programs
- The 30 Best Online Master’s in Education Degree Programs
- The 10 Best Online Master's in Behavioral Psychology Degree Programs
- The 10 Best Online Master's in Negotiation & Conflict Management Programs
- The 30 Best Online Master's in Accounting Programs
- The 30 Best Online Master's in Curriculum and Instruction Degree Programs
- The 30 Best Online Master's in Early Childhood Education Degree Programs
- The 30 Best Online Master's in Educational Technology Degree Programs
- The 30 Best Online Master's in Health Informatics Degree Programs
- The 30 Best Online Master's in Special Education Degree Programs
- The 30 Best Online Master’s in Reading Programs
- The 50 Best Online Master's in Cybercrime Programs
- The 50 Best Online Master's in Engineering Programs
On-Campus Degree Rankings
Popular with our students.
Highly informative resources to keep your education journey on track.
Take the next step toward your future with online learning.
Discover schools with the programs and courses you’re interested in, and start learning today.