- Capella University operates with two learning formats: FlexPath and GuidedPath. FlexPath allows for self-paced learning, with no set semester or quarter system. GuidedPath offers structured, weekly deadlines in asynchronous online classrooms.
- Capella University offers dozens of cost-sharing scholarship opportunities for new students, enrolled students, and alumni.
- Students can earn and apply prior learning assessment credits to their degrees by demonstrating relevant, college-level knowledge gained outside the classroom.
Capella University was established in 1993 as The Graduate School of America. It received regional accreditation in 1997 and changed its name to Capella University in 1999. Most recently, the university’s parent company, Capella Education, merged with Strayer Education, Inc. to form Strategic Education, Inc., which specializes in providing online higher education opportunities to working adult learners.
Today, Capella University operations take place completely online, with more than 35,000 students enrolled across the country and around the globe. A majority of Capella University students seek online graduate and postgraduate opportunities, with only 26% pursuing online bachelor’s degrees.
Finishing my online MBA program at Capella University has been a major dream of mine for a long time. I specifically chose to seek an online degree program because of the flexibility it affords me. I am able to work full-time, balance my home life, set goals and deadlines for my courses while not be confined to a college campus that the traditional degree program offers. In spite of challenges and hardships, I have not once given up on my dream of finishing graduate school, and I’m currently maintaining a 4.0 GPA. I truly don’t believe if I were in a traditional degree program I would be able to maintain my grades and sanity as I’m able to do with the online degree program.—Brittany, W., MBA, Capella University
Capella University’s Accreditation, Tuition, & Admission Info
Accreditation and Approvals
Capella University is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. Select Capella University programs hold specialized accreditation from the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs, the Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education, the Council on Social Work Education’s Commission on Accreditation, the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation, the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET, the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, the Global Accreditation Center for Project Management, and the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs.
- Undergraduate Online (varies by program): $357-$411 per credit hour
- Graduate Studies (varies by program): $435-$805 per credit hour
- Postgraduate Studies: $540-$800 per credit hour
Admission requirements at Capella University vary depending on whether a student chooses the GuidedPath or FlexPath learning format. GuidedPath admission requires a prospective undergraduate student to possess a high school diploma or equivalent, while a prospective graduate student must hold a bachelor’s degree. Each doctoral applicant must hold a master’s degree.
FlexPath admission requires the same academic prerequisites, and an undergraduate in the program must also possess at least 45 applicable college credits. A 3.0 GPA is recommended for FlexPath undergraduates and graduates. Individual programs may require additional material or admission criteria, including minimum GPA requirements, a resume or CV, letters of recommendation, or completion of an interview.
By being enrolled in an online degree program, I have become eligible to get my foot into the door with the Federal Government to work various internships, along with having many opportunities that can potentially lead me to a long, impactful career. Another positive of online school is developing a strong internal level of focus and determination in regards to completing assignment and deadlines.—Brittany, W., MBA, Capella University
- Student Population: 39,271
- Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 22:1
- Percentage Receiving Grant or Scholarship Aid: 78%
- Founded: 1993
- Accreditation: Higher Learning Commission
- Public/Private: Private, for-profit
- Acceptance Rate: 100% (open admissions)
- Colors: Red and black
- Address: 225 South 6th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55402
- Phone Number: (888) 227-3552
- Social Media: Facebook; Twitter; Instagram
Online Degrees Offered
Capella University offers 41 undergraduate and graduate certificates, eight online bachelor’s degrees, 24 online master’s degrees, and 22 doctoral degrees. Capella University offers five online degrees in business, six degrees in counseling, seven degrees in education, six degrees in health sciences, six degrees in information technology, three degrees in nursing, seven degrees in psychology, eight degrees in public service, and six degrees in social work and human services.