Marketing continues to evolve with technology's influence on society. With corporations relying on consumer data to guide operational strategies, the need for employees with contemporary marketing skills grows more important each year.
As a marketing student, you will plant yourself in a field that not only adapts to the consumer, but also plays an influential role in consumer expectations and perceived needs. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, marketing research analyst positions are projected to grow 23% through 2026, leading to the emergence of more than 138,000 new jobs over the next decade. A doctorate in marketing online program can prepare you for a variety of interesting and financially rewarding careers in the field.
For career information, skip down:
- What Else Can I Expect from an Online Doctorate in Marketing Program?
- Accreditation for Online Doctorate in Marketing Degrees
- Online Doctorate in Marketing Careers
- Paying for Your Online Doctorate in Marketing
The Best Online Doctorate in Marketing Programs
About this school
Located in Lynchburg, VA, Liberty University enrolls more than 100,000 students each year. This school's accessible, Christian-based academic programs extend beyond its 7,000-acre campus to reach students around the globe. Liberty University currently offers 289 programs online, including a doctorate in marketing online.
This DBA marketing online degree prepares graduates for careers in corporate research, consultation, and marketing management. The 60-credit curriculum consists of 48 core credits and 12 credits of marketing courses. Core coursework emphasizes business theories and research methods, and includes three dissertation classes. The marketing specialization features courses in supply chain management, marketing research, and marketing promotions. Students have a maximum of five years to earn their degree, and full-time students following the program's recommended plan of study graduate in eight semesters. Transfer students may apply 15 credits toward their degree.
End of list, bravo!
What Else can I Expect from an Online Doctorate in Marketing Program?
Doctorate in marketing online programs provide in-depth examinations of numerous business topics, including finance allocation strategies, supply chain management, and marketing communication. The following curriculum offers an example of a typical DBA marketing online program. While degree content differs by school, students will likely complete some variation of the following courses.
Curriculum for an Online Doctorate in Marketing
- Brand and Product Management: This course familiarizes students with strategies used to promote a product's image, including the development of positive consumer perceptions and packaging design. Students learn how to generate marketing plans that meet the needs of both the consumer and the corporation. This Ph.D. in marketing online course qualifies students for careers as marketing managers and chief brand officers.
- Business Ethics: Often using case studies to drive points, this course prepares students for careers governed by ethical conduct. Course topics focus on contemporary ethical issues faced by businesses and stakeholders, including environmental protection, equitable treatment of employees, and fiscal transparency. Additionally, this course examines legal implications of business practices from a global perspective.
- Consumer Behavior: Preparing students for careers as marketing research analysts, this course provides an overview of the theories that explain consumer behavior. Students learn how marketing strategies promote customer loyalty and satisfaction. This course emphasizes consumer behavior analysis and equips students with skills needed to develop and implement methods for gathering consumer data.
- Research Methods: In this course, students acquire the skills needed to independently conduct research. In examining scholarly research projects and identifying appropriate research methodologies for data collection and analysis, this course prepares distance learners for careers as marketing consultants, college professors, and marketing research analysts.
- Supply Chain Management: This course explores how corporations secure resources and produce goods. Students acquire knowledge of supply chain management strategies and cover topics in logistics, purchasing, and efficiency. Students gain an understanding of risk-sharing and supply and demand analysis. Sales managers and supply chain analysts rely on knowledge of supply chain strategies.
How Long Does It Take to Get an Online Doctorate in Marketing?
Comprised of approximately 60 credits, doctorate in marketing online programs vary slightly in length and structure. Students typically earn their degree in four or five years, with some programs allowing students up to seven years to complete their degree. Full-time students who follow a program's prescribed degree plan may earn their doctorate in as little as 39 months. Degrees with built-in specializations typically do not require additional coursework; however, if a student opts to pursue another concentration, the curriculum requirements may extend the length of time necessary to graduate.
Many graduate programs use a cohort model, while others may offer individualized plans of study. Cohort programs group newly admitted students together into a course plan that they follow until graduation. These programs selectively admit students one or two times each year. Individually paced programs tend to offer several start dates, and students take courses at their convenience. Both cohort and individually paced programs may feature eight-week or 16-week courses.
Accreditation for Online Marketing Doctorate Degrees
Schools acquire accreditation to provide quality assurance practices that reflect national standards both deparmentally and institutionally. Regional accreditation is the primary accrediting type sought by colleges in the United States. More than three quarters of universities maintain regional accreditation. Nationally accredited schools typically offer trade-based programs. Although frequently featuring lower tuition rates, programs offered by nationally accredited schools may not be recognized by regionally accredited institutions.
Accredited schools and programs must participate in peer reviews and self studies to continue receiving endorsements from their accreditors. The Distance Education Accrediting Commission provides quality control measures for online programs, and the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) is the accrediting body for business programs. Doctorate in marketing online programs accredited by the AACSB demonstrate national standards in areas, such as professional ethics training, curriculum with an international scope, and quality instruction.
In order to be considered an authoritative accreditor, accrediting agencies must gain recognition from the Department of Education (ED) and Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). The ED and CHEA require accrediting agencies to demonstrate the strategies in which they hold schools and programs accountable. Accredited entities must adhere to guidelines stipulated by their accreditors. Students starting their DBA in marketing online may review the ED and CHEA accreditation databases for a list of all accredited schools and programs in the country.
Employment Outlook for Doctorate in Marketing Graduates
Doctorate in Marketing Careers
With a curriculum that includes advanced training in business strategies and research methods, a Ph.D. in marketing online program affords students numerous career opportunities. Graduates may pursue careers with nonprofit corporations, businesses, and in academia. Many graduates of DBA marketing online programs also lead flexible careers as consultants in a freelance capacity. Regardless of the occupational setting, these professionals possess traits that lead to success, including analytical and critical thinking skills, strong written and verbal abilities, and creativity.
Market Research Analyst: Working in a variety of industries, market research analysts assist businesses in product marketing by examining current marketing trends. They develop assessments to measure consumer needs and opinions about products. Using statistical analyses, these professionals determine the effectiveness of marketing strategies and work independently or on a team of analysts.
- Median Annual Salary: $63,230
- Projected Growth Rate: 23%
Advertising, Promotions, and Marketing Managers: These professionals work closely with art directors to plan strategies for advertising and product promotion. Marketing managers often work alongside public relations specialists to develop marketing methods that attract new consumers. A Ph.D. in marketing provides mid-level employees with the academic training needed to advance to a management position.
- Median Annual Salary: $129,380
- Projected Growth Rate: 10%
Top Executive: Nearly a quarter of top executives are self-employed, with many putting in more than 40 hours of work each week. These professionals oversee the daily operations of companies. Top executives negotiate contracts, manage finances, and select department leaders. These executives hold a terminal degree in fields like business or leadership.
- Median Annual Salary: $104,700
- Projected Growth Rate: 8%
Sales Manage: Employed in wholesale and retail trade, manufacturing, and insurance, sales managers lead sales teams. Job duties include identifying areas of improvement and implementing training programs for sales agents. Sales managers ensure customer satisfaction by addressing complaints and providing purchasing incentives. Sales managers may work directly with other businesses or consumers.
- Median Annual Salary: $121,060
- Projected Growth Rate: 9%
Postsecondary Teacher: A doctorate in marketing online allows business professionals to teach college courses and pursue careers as professors, deans, and department heads. Postsecondary teachers engage in classroom instruction, student assessment, and lesson planning. Tenured professors conduct ongoing research in their field of study and may collaborate with other researchers on interdisciplinary projects.
- Median Annual Salary: $76,000
- Projected Growth Rate: 15%
Doctorate in Marketing Salary
Marketing Careers by Experience
Students of doctorate in marketing online programs look forward to incomes as they gain professional experience. The table below depicts salary trends for five marketing careers, with data from Payscale. This illustrative comparison of entry level, mid-career, and advanced career employee salaries indicates increased annual earnings across the board with hikes up to 100%. For example, marketing directors with less than five years of experience earn a median annual income of $51,000, while those with 20 or more years of experience enjoy a median annual income exceeding $100,000. Earning a DBA marketing online positions students for leadership roles in the areas featured below.
|Job Title||Overall Median Salary||Entry-Level Employees||Mid-Career Employees||Late-Career Employees|
|Marketing Communications Director||$79,898||$52,000||$69,000||$100,000|
Professional Organizations in Marketing
Professional organizations provide doctorate in marketing online students with a host of resources that are often free to members. Joining a professional organization, such as the American Marketing Association, allows students and entry level professionals to broaden their employment opportunities through online networking. Members receive access to global job listings and annual conferences at reduced rates. Most professional organizations feature continuing education programs that incorporate the latest marketing practices into their curriculum. Additionally, professional organizations frequently offer certifications to provide professionals with a competitive edge when seeking employment.
- American Marketing Association (AMA): The AMA promotes excellence in marketing through its continuing education events, career resources, and scholarly publications. Members receive access to more than 100 instant streaming webcasts that discuss the most recent trends in marketing.
- Insights Association: The Insights Association began in 2017 when two market research organizations combined. This professional organization's numerous functions include government legislation and advocacy, the promotion of evidence-based practices, and stimulating business growth for its members.
- Sales Management Association: With an emphasis on sales force effectiveness, this international professional organization caters to professionals working in sales operations, management consultation, and business education. This organization features a blog and a media/branding guide.
Paying for Your Online Doctorate in Marketing
Funding a doctorate in marketing online program may be one of the biggest hurdles for prospective students. Fortunately, opportunities for financial assistance are abundant. The federal government serves as a major funding source, offering several financial assistance programs that help students meet tuition requirements. Students complete the FAFSA to determine federal aid eligibility. Students may also qualify for low interest federal loans, grants, and work study programs.
In addition to federal financial aid, students may receive monetary support through scholarships and grants. Offered by colleges, organizations, and private donors, scholarships cater to students from diverse backgrounds. Several scholarships are available to women, minorities, and first generation college students. Doctoral students may also apply for grants, which could potentially cover the cost of textbooks and help fund research projects. Scholarships and grants require no repayment.
Tuition reimbursement programs provide students with another affordable option that allows them to earn their Ph.D. in marketing online while avoiding high tuition costs. Several national corporations, such as Procter & Gamble and Wells Fargo, help employees return to school by offering hefty tuition reimbursements. Some businesses pay up to 90% of a student's tuition.