- Population: 40th (1,431,603)
- Honolulu (374,658)
- Mililani (48,668)
- Pearl City (47,698)
- Waipahu (38,216)
- Kanohe (34,597)
You might get the impression that Hawaii is nothing but sand, surf, and sun all the time. With the fourth longest coastline of any state in the U.S., you wouldn't be wrong; but there's more to Hawaii than just fabulous beaches and a stunning array of flora. Hawaii is also home to some of the most ethnically diverse college campuses in the United States. By the time Hawaii became the 50th state in 1959, its first university had more than half a century under its belt. Read more about Hawaii in the article A Brief History of Higher Education in Each of America's 50 States.
Colleges and Universities
- 19 accredited colleges
- University of Hawaii system boasts an enrollment of 59,288
- According to U.S. News & World Report, UH Manoa is ranked #6 in the nation for ethnic diversity and #83 in the ranking of all public universities in the United States. The National Science Foundation ranks UH Manoa in the top 30 public universities for public funding in science and engineering.
Top Online Colleges in Hawaii
- #1: University of Hawai'i Manoa
The University of Hawai'i Manoa offers a variety of certificate, bachelor, master and doctoral degrees online. Certificate options include disability studies and online learning and teaching. Bachelor's degrees include several topics in education. Master's degrees attainable online include library science and social work. Doctoral degree programs include nursing.
- #2: Chaminade University of Honolulu
Chaminade University of Honolulu provides almost 50 bachelor, master and certificate programs online in a variety of topics. Available online bachelor's degrees include criminology, liberal arts and psychology. Online master's degrees include education, business and criminal justice. Online certificate options include underwater investigation, Montessori credentials for teachers and business administration.
- #3: University of Hawaii West Oahu
The University of Hawaii West Oahu offers a number of bachelor's degrees and certificates. Online bachelor's degree offerings include political science and education, while available certificate programs include health care and emergency management. Resources available to online students include an online library with librarian live chat, a scholarly article database, online test proctoring, online tutoring, and online writing assistance. The University of Hawaii West Oahu ranks among The 20 Best Online Bachelor in Political Science Programs?
Top Universities in Hawaii
- #1: University of Hawai'i Manoa
The University of Hawaii (UH), which traces its roots to a land grant college founded in 1907, is a public coed research university governed by the Hawaii state legislature. Operating as the flagship campus for the University of Hawaii system, UH Manoa is located in the Manoa valley, one of Honolulu's nicest neighborhoods, on the island of Oahu.
- #2: Hawaii Pacific University
Hawaii Pacific University is divided into four academic Colleges, which include the Colleges of Business Administration, Humanities and Social Sciences, Nursing and Health Sciences, and Natural and Computational Sciences. Hawaii Pacific ranks among The 25 Best Online MBA in International Business Degree Programs? and The 25 Best Bachelor's in Health Sciences Degree Programs
Top Elementary Schools in Hawaii
- Waimea Country School ranks among The 50 Best Private Elementary Schools in the U.S.
- Hale'iwa Elementary School ranks among the The 50 Best American Public Elementary Schools. and was featured as one of 50 Inspiring Schools Meeting the Challenge.