TERMS AND CONDITIONS.
These Terms and Conditions apply to TheBestSchools.org's Online Learning Scholarship Contest conducted by TheBestSchools.org. By participating in our Scholarship Contests, as either an entrant or a referring party, you agree to the Terms and Conditions stated herein. The term 'entrant' as used herein shall be used to refer to entrants in the Contests and/or referring parties.
CONTESTS ENTRANTS AND PRIZE RECIPIENTS MUST BE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OR OLDER AT THE TIME OF ENTRY TO BE ELIGIBLE, AND (B) CURRENTLY ENROLLED IN A MOSTLY ONLINE DEGREE PROGRAM (TAKING AT LEAST 80 PERCENT OF COURSES ONLINE). VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. CONTESTS SUBJECT TO ALL APPLICABLE FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL LAWS AND REGULATIONS. Officers, directors and employees of Sponsor and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates and divisions are not eligible to enter the scholarship contests.
1. TO ENTER: Submit an entry via web form on scholarship information web page during the Entry Period. All entries must be received during the entry period to be eligible. Entrants are required to provide their complete name and valid e-mail address and complete other required fields as indicated. Limit one (1) entry per person and per e-mail address during a specific entry period. Multiple or duplicate entries from the same individual will be disqualified. The use of automated entry or similar devices to participate or subvert the entry process is prohibited, and all entries via such devices are void. Incomplete, inaccurate, unintelligible, unreadable, or late entries that otherwise do not comply with these Official Rules will be disqualified. Entries are the property of the Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned. Upon request, the entrant should be able to provide proof of eligibility.
IMPORTANT NOTE: No entrant is eligible to receive a scholarship unless Sponsor determines, in its sole and absolute discretion, all requirements for eligibility and as otherwise set forth in these Terms and Conditions have been met.
2. USAGE RIGHTS FOR ENTRIES: All entries become the property of Sponsor and may not be acknowledged or returned. Entries are required to include valid e-mail and mailing addresses for the entrant. Each entrant hereby acknowledges and agrees the relationship between the entrant and Sponsor, its subsidiaries, affiliates, parent corporation(s), advertising and promotional agencies, and all of their respective officers, directors, employees and agents ('Related Entities'), is not a fiduciary, confidential, or other special relationship, and the entrant's decision to enter the Scholarship Contests does not place Sponsor or the Related Entities in a position that is any different from the position held by members of the general public with regard to elements of the individual's entry.
Sponsor and the Related Entities are not responsible for any problems or technical, hardware, or software malfunctions of any telephone network or telephone lines, failed, incomplete, incorrect, inaccurate, garbled or delayed electronic communications whether caused by the sender or by any equipment or programming associated with or used in these Scholarship Contests, computer online systems, servers or providers, software, computer equipment, failure of any e-mail or entry to be received by Sponsor due to human error, technical problems, or traffic congestion, unavailable network connections on the Internet or at any website, or any combination thereof, including, without limitation, any injury or damage to entrant's or any other person's computer relating to or resulting from participating in these Scholarship Contests or downloading any materials in these Scholarship Contests. By submitting an entry, entrant agrees to abide by the Terms and Conditions of the Contests.
3. JUDGING CRITERIA: In Scholarship Contests in which the Sponsor selects the winning Entries, the Entries are judged by a qualified panel of judges the Sponsor designated based on the following Judging Criteria: Creativity, Originality, Writing Skills, Inspiration. In all Scholarship Contests, Sponsor decisions are final and binding.
4. SELECTION OF PRIZES: At the close of the Entry Period, the Scholarship Contest Winners are selected according to the process outlined in paragraph 3. Scholarship Winners are not eligible to enter subsequent iterations of the Scholarship Contest for one year following their selection as a Scholarship Winner.
5. NON-TRANSFERABILITY AND TAXES: Scholarships are not transferable. Each Winner is solely responsible for paying all applicable federal, state and local taxes, if any, and all other unspecified expenses associated with the acceptance and/or use of their SCHOLARSHIP.
Contest winners who accumulate more than $600.00 in prizes over a one-year period will be issued an IRS form 1099 (or the equivalent). This requires Scholarship winners to provide TheBestSchools.org with a completed and signed IRS W-9 form prior to receipt of their scholarship.
6. CLAIMING SCHOLARSHIPS/RELEASES: Eligibility, age, claims and proof of a minimum college or university cumulative 3.0 GPA and enrollment in an accredited college or university degree program are subject to verification. Winners are notified by telephone and/or e-mail after the close of the Entry Period. Winners receive via U.S. Mail and/or e-mail an affidavit of eligibility and a liability and (where imposing such condition is legal) a publicity release, which Winners are required to sign as a condition to receive a scholarship. In the event a Scholarship Winner fails to acknowledge the award of a TheBestSchools.org scholarship within 20 days of being notified of such scholarship, or fails to return the signed affidavits sent by Sponsor within 20 days of receipt, Scholarship Winner is disqualified, and the Sponsor selects an alternate Winner through the same process described in paragraph 3 above.
Checks made payable to the Winners' college or university are mailed to their college or university after eligibility and compliance with these Terms and Conditions are verified. Sponsor reserves the right to make a check payable to the Winner of a Scholarship. Sponsor is not obligated to leave voice mail, answering machine or other messages. Sponsor is not responsible for fraudulent calls or e-mails made to entrants not made by the Sponsor. The Sponsor provides the Scholarships only if they are properly claimed. In the event of a dispute as to the identity or eligibility of a Scholarship Winner based on an e-mail address, the winning entry will be declared made by the 'Authorized Account Holder' of the e-mail address at time of entry. An 'Authorized Account Holder' is defined as the natural person 18 years of age or older who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, on-line service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. Sponsor may ask any entrant or potential Winner to provide Sponsor proof such party is the authorized account holder of the email account associated with the entry.
7. INTERNET: If for any reason Scholarship Contests are not able of running as planned due to an infection from a computer virus, bugs, unauthorized intervention, tampering, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of Sponsor or the Related Entities which corrupt or affect the administration, security, integrity, fairness, or proper conduct of Scholarship Contests, the Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process, and to cancel, modify, terminate, or suspend Scholarship Contests.
8. GENERAL: By participating in Scholarship Contests, Entrants: (1) agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions; (2) agree to release Sponsor and the Related Entities from any and all liability for any loss, damages, harm, costs or expenses due in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, to participation in Scholarship Contests or any Contest-related activity, or the acceptance, possession, use or misuse of any Scholarship and claims based on publicity rights, invasion of privacy or defamation and merchandise delivery; and (3) consent to the use of their entry responses for promotional purposes in any medium throughout the world, whether now known or hereafter devised, in perpetuity without additional compensation or right of review unless prohibited by law, (4) consent to the use of their names, pictures, voices, and likenesses for advertising purposes in any medium throughout the world, whether now known or hereafter devised, in perpetuity without additional compensation or right of review unless prohibited by law, (5) agree that Sponsor owns all data and responses collected through this Contests and (6) Sponsor may discontinue Scholarship Contests at any time. Sponsor may terminate any Scholarship Contests or decide to modify Scholarship Contents in any manner Sponsor deems fair and equitable to participants if Sponsor becomes aware of any occurrence that would materially affect the Contests' security and fairness.
Sponsor may prohibit individuals from participating in the Scholarship Contests and disqualify entries if they (1) attempt to apply for the Scholarship Contests through any means other than as described in these Terms and Conditions, (2) attempt to disrupt Scholarship Contests or circumvent the Terms and Conditions in any way or (3) violate these Terms and Conditions. All of Sponsor's decisions with respect to Scholarship Contests are final.
9. LIABILITY & RELEASE: By participating in Scholarship Contests, entrants agree to release and hold harmless Sponsor and the Related Entities from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in Scholarship Contests or receipt or use of any Scholarship hereunder, including, but not limited to: (a) unauthorized human intervention in Contests; (b) errors in the administration of Scholarship Contests or the processing of entries; (c) technical errors related to computers, providers, servers, or telephone or network lines; (d) printing errors; or (e) or damage to property which may result, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant's participation in Scholarship Contests or entrant's receipt, acceptance, use and/or enjoyment of any Scholarship. In no event shall Sponsor or the Related Entities be liable for attorney's fees. Each entrant waives the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, direct, consequential, or indirect damages. Sponsor and the Related Entities reserve the right to correct typographic, clerical or printing errors in any Scholarship Contests materials. Sponsor and the Related Entities are not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of Contests, the administration of Contests or in the announcement of the Winners, including such error as may give an erroneous indication a scholarship has been won. In the event the Sponsor or the Related Entities are prevented from continuing with Scholarship Contests, or the integrity and/or feasibility of Scholarship Contests is undermined by any event including but not limited to fire, flood, explosion, earthquake, epidemic, labor dispute, or strike, act of God or public enemy, satellite or equipment failure, war (declared or undeclared), riot or civil disturbance, terrorist threat or activity, or any federal, state, or local government law, order of regulation, order of any court or jurisdiction, or other cause not reasonably within the Sponsor's or the Related Entities' control (each a 'Force Majeure' event) the Sponsor and the Related Entities shall have the right, in their sole discretion, to abbreviate, suspend, modify, cancel or terminate the Scholarship Contests without notice or further obligation. If the Sponsor or the Related Entities, in their discretion, elect to abbreviate, cancel or terminate the Scholarship Contests as a result of a Force Majeure event, the Sponsor and the Related Entities reserve the right, but shall have no obligation, to award the Scholarships from among all valid and eligible entries received up to the time of such Force Majeure event. The Sponsor and Related Entities reserve the right to not award scholarships for any Scholarship Contest period if the Sponsor does not receive 20 or more qualified entries.
10. USE OF INFORMATION: The information provided in connection with Scholarship Contests is being disclosed solely to Sponsor and the Related Entities, and may be used for Sponsor's internal, promotional, and advertising purposes and to send entrants information about Sponsor's products and special Contests. The submission of an entry constitutes permission to post each Winner's name on Sponsor's website and to use such Winners' names, hometowns and/or likenesses for purposes of advertising without further compensation or right of review unless prohibited by law. Sponsor will make available clear avenues for entrants to unsubscribe from all further communication if desired.
11. Questions/Names of Winners: To ask questions about Scholarship Contests, or to request the names and hometowns of the Winners, contact TheBestSchools.org