Wilkes University Online
Updated July 15, 2021 • 1 min read
thebestschools.org is an advertising-supported site. Featured or trusted partner programs and all school search, finder, or match results are for schools that compensate us. This compensation does not influence our school rankings, resource guides, or other editorially-independent information published on this site.
Are you ready to discover your college program?
- Wilkes University offers thousands of dollars in financial aid directly to its students through dozens of scholarships for freshman, transfer students, graduate students, military service members, and veterans. Scholarships are awarded for everything from student leadership to theatre and music performance.
- Whether studying on-campus or online, all students receive the same tuition rates as their program classmates.
- Wilkes University notable alumni include recognized artists in poetry, creative writing, and music composition, including a 2015 Man Booker Prize winner.
Originally established as a junior college of Bucknell University, the institution gained independence as Wilkes College in 1947. One final name change, to Wilkes University, came in 1990. In an effort to continue expanding opportunities for its annual enrollment of more than 5,000 students, Wilkes offers 32 online programs including certificates, bachelor's degrees, master's degrees, and terminal degrees in education, nursing, creative writing, business management, and sustainability management.
Wilkes University Tuition, Accreditation, and Admissions Info
- On campus undergraduate: $34,500
- Online undergraduate: $34,500
- On campus graduate: $700-$1,000 per credit
- Online graduate: $700-$1,000 per credit
Accreditation and Approvals
Wilkes University is regionally accredited by the Middle State Association of Colleges and Schools. Several individual programs hold additional accreditation from agencies and organizations including the American Chemical Society, Engineering Accreditation Commission, Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technology, Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs, Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education, American Society of Health-System Pharmacist Commission on Credentialing, Pennsylvania Department of Education, and the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
Wilkes University acceptance rate is 75% for undergraduate students. Undergraduate applicants to Wilkes should submit ACT or SAT scores and high school transcripts. Additional prerequisite course requirements apply depending on the major an incoming freshman selects. In addition to the above requirements, transfer applicants must submit official college transcripts.
Graduate school admission requirements vary depending on one's program of interest. Requirements may include undergraduate transcripts showing required prerequisites and a minimum GPA, GRE or GMAT test scores, letters of recommendation, personal statement, resume/CV or proof of licensure, and an admissions interview.
- Founded: 1933
- Online student population: 1,768
- Student-to-faculty ratio: 13-to-1
- About 96% of Wilkes University students receive some form of financial aid.
- Accreditation: Middle State Association of Colleges and Schools
- Full-Time Freshman Retention Rate: 76%
- Required Standardized Test(s): ACT, SAT, GRE, GMAT, TOEFL, IELTS
- Public/Private: Private nonprofit
- Acceptance Rate: 75%
- Graduation Rate: 55%
- Athletics: NCAA Division III
- Mascot: Colonels
- Colors: Blue and gold
- Address: 84 West South Street, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18701
- Phone Number: (800) 945-5378
- Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
Wilkes University Online Degrees Offered
- ten online certificate programs
- two online bachelor's degrees
- 20 online master's degrees
- two online doctorate degrees.
Education programs make up the majority of these online offerings, with additional offerings available in nursing, creative writing, business administration, and sustainability management.
Popular with our students.
Highly informative resources to keep your education journey on track.
Take the next step toward your future with online learning.
Discover schools with the programs and courses you’re interested in, and start learning today.