Widener University Online | TheBestSchools
Updated August 26, 2022 • 1 min read
thebestschools.org is an advertising-supported site. Featured or trusted partner programs and all school search, finder, or match results are for schools that compensate us. This compensation does not influence our school rankings, resource guides, or other editorially-independent information published on this site.
Are you ready to discover your college program?
- As a private institution, Widener University offers the same tuition rates to all of its students, regardless of residency status.
- Notable alumni serve as state senators, members of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives, U.S. major generals, award-winning novelists, and successful pro athletes.
- Widener alumni boast positive financial returns. PayScale's 2018-2019 College Salary Report ranked Widener in the top 21% of U.S. universities according to alumni median salaries. Similarly, the Department of Education's College Scorecard noted Widener's median postgraduate salaries were $18,000 higher than the national average.
Originally founded in 1821 as a boys preparatory school, the institution went through five changes to its name, enrollment procedures, and educational offerings before the current Widener University emerged in 1972. With campuses in four locations and two states, today Widener educates more than 6,000 undergraduates and postgraduates in traditional daytime settings, evening classes, and online classes. Seven fully online degrees, in specializations including business administration, social work, nursing, and education, allow working professionals across the country to enhance their skills and abilities with the ultimate flexibility provided by eLearning methods.
Widener University Tuition, Accreditation, and Admissions Info
- On-campus undergraduate: $45,000
- On-campus graduate: $750-$1,200 per credit
- Online graduate: $800-$1,050 per credit
- Online RN-to-BSN students: $500 per credit
Accreditation and Approvals
Widener University is regionally accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. Individual programs and schools within the Widener system hold additional accreditation from 18 different agencies and organizations.
Widener University acceptance rate for undergraduate students is 65%. Undergraduate Widener admission requirements vary depending on student status. Incoming freshman must complete an application and submit test scores and high school transcripts. Adult learners looking to enroll in extended education do not pay an application fee, but must submit proof of high school graduation or a GED, all prior college transcripts, and supplemental materials depending on program selection.
Each graduate program at Widener requires different admission materials and prerequisites. Along with an online application, official transcripts, and a $35 fee, graduate applicants may need to supply a personal statement, professional goals statement, letters of recommendation, a resume, GRE/GMAT scores, and scholarly writing samples.
- Founded: 1821
- Online student population: 189
- Student-to-faculty ratio: 13-to-1
- 96% of undergraduates receive financial aid, and 85% of full-time graduate students receive financial aid.
- Accreditation: Middle States Commission on Higher Education
- Full-Time Freshman Retention Rate: 82%
- Required Standardized Test(s): ACT, SAT, GRE, GMAT, TOEFL, IELTS
- Public/Private: Private nonprofit
- Acceptance Rate: 65%
- Graduation Rate: 62%
- Athletics: NCAA Division III
- Mascot: Pride (lions)
- Colors: Widener blue and gold
- Address: 1 University Pl, Chester, PA 19013
- Phone Number: (610) 499-4000
- Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
Widener University Online Degrees Offered
Widener students looking to earn a degree completely online can choose from six master's programs and an RN-to-BSN program.
Popular with our students.
Highly informative resources to keep your education journey on track.
Take the next step toward your future with online learning.
Discover schools with the programs and courses you’re interested in, and start learning today.