- Offers competency-based learning
- Awards credit for life experiences
- Offers more than 600 online courses
- Award-winning faculty
West Virginia University (WVU), a public, space-grant, land-grant research-intensive university founded in 1867, has a long history of providing quality higher education. With nearly 200 degree programs ranging from bachelor's to doctorates and professional programs through 15 colleges and a host of award-winning faculty, WVU students receive the education they need for successful careers. The university's commitment to innovative research includes its affiliation with the Rockefeller Neurosciences Institute. Online students have access to more than online courses as well as support services including enrollment coaches and academic advisers.
- Ranked among The Best Online Colleges for 2019
- Ranked among The Best Online Colleges for 2018
- Ranked #1 among The Best Online Colleges in West Virginia
- Ranked among The Top 50 Places to Study Classical Economics
West Virgina University Online Degrees
West Virginia University's Accreditation, Approvals, Tuition & Admissions Info
West Virginia University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
Many of WVU's programs also hold specialized accreditation including those from the American Academy of Forensic Sciences.
Admissions and Transfer Info
West Virginia University's admission prerequisites and application requirements vary by program.
Freshman applicants must submit official transcripts and ACT or SAT scores.
Undergraduate applicants must submit official transcripts for all college credits earned at an accredited institution and proof of at least a 2.5 GPA.
Some programs also require prior college experience and work experience or military training.
Transfer students must have at least a 2.0 GPA in all college work. If they have fewer than 24 transferable credit hours, they must meet the freshman applicant requirements.
WVU accepts a maximum of 72 hours of lower-division credit from transfer students.
International undergraduate students must submit TOEFL or IELTS scores, official copies of their academic records, copies of academic diplomas or certificates and a copy of their passport or visa.
Graduate applicants must hold a baccalaureate degree or its equivalent from an accredited college or university, at least a 3.0 GPA and a minimum 292 GRE score. Applicants also must submit two recommendation forms and an original essay.
- Accreditation: Regional (Higher Learning Commission)
- Region: Southeast
- Retention Rate: 80%
- Requires SAT or ACT: SAT or ACT
- Public/Private: Public Nonprofit
- Acceptance Rate: 72%
- Graduation Rate: 57.3%
- Cost Per Credit (In-State/Out-of-State): Undergrad: $314 / $314
Grad: $482 / $482
- Address: PO Box 6878; Morgantown; WV 26506-6878, USA
- Student population: About 28,500
- Student-to-faculty ratio: 20 to 1
- Percentage receiving grant or scholarship aid: 93%
Online Degrees at West Virginia University
Significant West Virginia University online degree rankings:
Online Bachelor’s Degree Programs
- B of Multidisciplinary Studies
- BS in Child Development and Family Studies
- BS in Child Development and Family Studies: Preschool Education Birth-4 (Pre-K Certification)
- BSBA in General Business
- BA in Advertising
- BA in American History
- BA in Child Development
- BA in Communication Studies
- BA in General History
- BA in Professional Writing
- BA in Public Relations
- BA in Religious Studies
- RN to BSN
Online Master’s Degree Programs
- MA in Advanced Elementary Education
- MA in Literacy Education (With Certification)
- MA in Communication Studies
- MA in Higher Education Administration
- MA in Instructional Design and Technology
- MA in Music Industry
- MA in Special Education and/or Certification
- MS in Business Data Analytics
- MS in Clinical Rehabilitation and Mental Health Counseling
- MS in Forensic and Fraud Examination
- MS in in Data Marketing Communications
- MS in Integrated Marketing Communications
- MSN in Family Nurse Practitioner
- MSN in Nursing Leadership
- MSN in Pediatric Nurse Practitioner
- MS in Safety Management
- MS in School Health Education
- MS in Software Engineering
- MS in Sport Coaching
Online Doctorate Degree Program
- BS to DNP
- EdD in Special Education
- PhD in Nursing
Online Undergraduate Certificate Program
- Early Childhood Development
Online Graduate Certificate Programs
- Forensic Accounting and Fraud Examination
- Geographic Information Systems and Spatial Analysis
- Integrated Marketing Communications
- Software Engineering
- Infant/Toddler Education