Washington University in St. Louis Online
| TBS Staff
Are you ready to discover your college program?
- Washington University in St. Louis notable alumni include 24 Nobel laureates, 29 Rhodes scholars, and several U.S. congressmen and senators.
- Every online and on-campus student at WashU receives the same tuition rates regardless of state residency.
- WashU holds unique bragging rights as the U.S. institution selected to host the largest number of presidential and vice-presidential debates in history, with debates held in 1992, 2000, 2004, 2008, and 2016.
WashU stands alone as a top private research university located in Missouri. Founded in 1853, trustees added "in St. Louis" to the school's name in 1976 to prevent confusion with several other private universities incorporating “Washington” in their names. Today, along with nearly 300 traditional degrees available, WashU offers a growing number of eLearning options for undergraduates and professionals alike, with several graduate programs available in legal studies, several certificate programs in business specializations, and one hybrid master's program in biology designed especially for science teachers. More than 200 students enroll exclusively in online classes, and approximately 150 students currently take at least one online course.
Washington University in St. Louis Tuition, Accreditation, and Admissions Info
- On-campus undergraduate: $52,400
- On-campus graduate: $52,400, $2,200 per credit if enrolled in nine credits or less
- Online undergraduate: $665-880 per credit
- Online graduate: $725-$2,400 per credit
Accreditation and Approvals
The University of Washington in St. Louis is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. Each school at WashU holds additional accreditation from federally recognized agencies.
Washington University in St. Louis acceptance rate is 16% for undergraduate students. Incoming freshman applying to WashU must complete an online application, supply high school transcripts, standardized test scores (either ACT or SAT), a 250-word essay, and letters of recommendation from a teacher and counselor. Undergraduate transfer students must hold a minimum 3.5 GPA and submit a completed application, college transcripts, and ACT or SAT scores. Graduate school applicants must complete an online application and submit all official transcripts from prior colleges, GRE scores if applicable, and three reference forms. Graduate students may also need to submit a resume and complete an interview process.
All WashU applicants should check the requirements prospective program to ensure they meet all admission requirements, as certain schools may require additional materials or prerequisites.
- Founded: 1853
- Online student population: 227
- Student-to-faculty ratio: 8-to-1
- WashU distributes scholarships or financial aid to 48% of undergraduate students.
- Accreditation: Higher Learning Commission
- Full-Time Freshman Retention Rate: 96%
- Required Standardized Test(s): ACT, SAT, GRE, GMAT, TOEFL, IELTS
- Public/Private: Private nonprofit
- Acceptance Rate: 17%
- Graduation Rate: 93%
- Athletics: NCAA Division III
- Mascot: Bears
- Colors: Red and green
- Address: One Brookings Drive, St. Louis, MO 63130
- Phone Number: 314-935-5000
- Social Media: Facebook, Twitter
Washington University in St. Louis Online Degrees Offered
- WashU offers three advanced certificates entirely online, which includes human resources management, international affairs, and nonprofit management.
- The four online master's degrees include three online law degrees and one hybrid master's degree in biology for science teachers.
Popular with our students.
Highly informative resources to keep your education journey on track.
Take the next step toward your future with online learning.
Discover schools with the programs and courses you’re interested in, and start learning today.