- Collaborative with 17 University of North Carolina institutions
- Offerings include high school, undergraduate, graduate, certificate, and advanced certificate programs
- Network of proctors adds to the integrity of online coursework and assessment
The University of North Carolina system, chartered in 1789, graduated its initial class of students from UNC Chapel Hill in 1795. In 1931, the University of North Carolina transitioned from one school in Chapel Hill to three institutions: UNC Chapel Hill, North Carolina State University, and UNC Greensboro. The UNC System currently includes 17 legally separate yet cooperative institutions.
Classes, programs, and degrees offered through UNC Online combine resources from the UNC System schools. UNC Online provides learners access to exchanges among universities, expanding educational opportunities for students enrolled at UNC System institutions. Students can access more than 400 online degrees and certificates through UNC Online.
University of Carolina at Chapel Hill Recognized as an Online College Leader
TBS has recognized UNC at Chapel Hill as a leader of online education in the area of business & management for having several ranking online programs, offered by the Kenan-Flagler Business School and the School of Government.
Kenan-Flagler Business School
The Kenan-Flagler Business School, part of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, offers undergraduate, graduate, professional, and doctoral degrees and certificates in a variety of business fields. The school covers seven main areas of study, in accounting, finance, marketing, management and corporate communication, operations, organizational behavior, and strategy and entrepreneurship. Entry-level students and working professionals engage with curricula that blend a business administration core with specialized focuses. The school prepares students to pursue or advance careers through professional experience opportunities, flexible online programs including online MBA degrees, access to research labs and centers such as the Center for Entrepreneurial Studies, and student and professional organizations. The Kenan-Flagler Business School is Accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB).
The Kenan-Flagler Business School offers online degree programs featured in the following rankings:
- Best Online Master's in Accounting Programs
- Best Online Master's in Marketing Programs
- Best Online Master's in Supply Chain Management Programs
- Best Online MBA Entrepreneurship Programs
- Best Online MBA in Finance Degree Programs
- Best Online MBA in Sustainability Degree Programs
- Best Online MBA Programs
- Best Online MBA Programs with No GMAT Required
School of Government
The School of Government, part of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, offers a master of public administration programs that serves both traditional and non-traditional students. Available online or on campus, the program covers key topics in the field, including professional communications, human resource management, public financial management, law and public administration, organization theory, and public service leadership. With professional experience opportunities and a focus on real-world knowledge and its applications, the school serves driven students seeking to advance in public administration professions.
The School of Government online MPA program is featured in the following ranking:
University of North Carolina Accreditation, Tuition, & Admissions Info
Accreditation and Approvals
UNC Chapel Hill, the flagship institution of the UNC System, is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCC). Each of the colleges and universities within the UNC System that participate in UNC Online also hold accreditation through the SACSCC.
- Each participating institution charges UNC Online tuition based on its in-state and out-of-state rates
- Online Carolina Core classes (offered to active military service personnel, veterans, and reservists) and Carolina Courses Online for continuing education learners: $237 for in-state students, $1,122 for nonresidents
- Online master’s degree in public health: $1,621 per credit hour
Undergraduate and graduate admission requirements vary by institution. Undergraduate applicants to UNC Chapel Hill submit a formal application and accompanying documentation through The Common App. Applicants to graduate programs at UNC Chapel Hill submit an application, transcripts, three letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, GRE or GMAT test scores, a resume, and a nonrefundable $90 fee. Individual departments and programs may use additional admission requirements.
- As of Fall 2016, 1,050 UNC Chapel students enrolled in online certificates and degrees
- In 2015, 46% of all UNC System students took at least one course online
- More than 54,000 degrees conferred through the UNC System in 2014-2015
- Accreditation: Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- Full-Time Freshman Retention Rate: 96% for UNC Chapel Hill, 80% for UNC System
- Required Standardized Test(s): ACT, SAT, GRE/GMAT
- Public/Private: Public nonprofit
- Graduation Rate: 85%
- Athletics: Atlantic Coast Conference, Division I
- Mascot: Tar Heels
- Colors: White and Carolina Blue
- Address: 250 E. Franklin Street, Chapel Hill, NC 27514
- Phone Number: 919-962-2211
- Social Media: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube
Online Degrees Offered
UNC Online offers more than 400 degrees and certificates, including:
- Six doctoral programs
- 170 master’s degrees
- 84 bachelor’s degrees
- 160 certificate programs
Learners can enroll in:
- 24 agricultural
- 78 business
- 137 education
- 37 nursing programs
UNC Online also provides access to more than 20 undergraduate and graduate programs in public administration, 50 medicine and health offerings, and 40 engineering degrees and certificates.