University of Massachusetts, Lowell Online
thebestschools.org is an advertising-supported site. Featured or trusted partner programs and all school search, finder, or match results are for schools that compensate us. This compensation does not influence our school rankings, resource guides, or other editorially-independent information published on this site.
Are you ready to discover your college program?
- Education and business administration programs ranked by U.S. News and World Report.
- Multiple scholarship opportunities, including funding for veterans and criminal justice students.
- Students can receive customizable corporate training opportunities.
- UMass Lowell hockey competes at the NCAA Division I level
Founded in 1897 as the State Normal School, UMass Lowell now ranks among the top 200 U.S. research universities, with nearly $70 million supporting the school's research and development. UMass Lowell includes six colleges and offers over 170 degree opportunities, while graduates of these programs earn, on average, $105,000 annually. In short, graduates of UMass Lowell receive a lucrative and nationally recognized degree. Through the UMass Lowell Blackboard platform, students are able to pursue numerous online degree programs.
UMass Lowell Tuition, Accreditation, and Admissions Info
- Undergraduate, online students: $380 per credit
- Graduate students: $575
- Certain programs may charge higher tuition, including programs from the Manning School of Business.
Accreditation and Approvals
UMass Lowell is accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education. Certain programs and schools also receive specialized accreditation through organizations such as the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology, the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business, the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, and the National Association of Schools of Music.
High school students should complete prerequisite coursework before graduating, including four English classes, four math classes, and three science classes. Applicants then must submit an application, an application fee, ACT/SAT scores, a recommendation letter, and a high school transcript. Incoming first-time freshmen must also write a short essay that describes hobbies and strategies for dealing with personal or professional struggles. Transfer students must submit transcripts from all previous schools; those with fewer than 24 college credits must also include high school transcripts.
Additional materials may be required for undergraduate candidates, depending on the program. The music program, for example, requires an audition, while art and design majors must deliver a portfolio. Graduate students must hold a bachelor's degree and provide GRE or GMAT test scores. Students who take a minimum of nine credits must also receive immunizations for illnesses such as measles and rubella.
UMass Lowell acceptance rate for undergraduate students is 69%.
- Student enrollment: 18,316
- Students hail from 120 countries.
- Student-to-faculty ratio: 17:1
- More than $170 million in financial aid awarded to students each year.
- Accreditation: New England Commission of Higher Education
- Freshman Retention Rate: 86%
- Required Standardized Test(s): SAT/ACT for undergraduate learners; GRE/GMAT for graduate students.
- Public/Private: Public
- Graduation Rate: 56%
- Athletics: NCAA Division I
- Mascot: Rowdy the River Hawk
- Address: University Crossing, Suite 420, 220 Pawtucket St, Lowell, MA 01854
- Phone Number: (978) 934-4000
- Social Media: Facebook; Twitter; YouTube; Instagram; LinkedIn
UMass Lowell Online Degrees Offered
- UMass Lowell provides online associate degrees in management and information technology, and eight bachelor's degrees in fields such as business administration, criminal justice, English, and psychology.
- Undergraduate learners may also pursue 12 certificates in disciplines like paralegal studies, java development, and accounting.
- Thirteen available master's programs include finance and engineering management, with seven additional master's programs in education.
- The school also delivers 14 graduate certificates in fields such as cybersecurity and clinical pathology.
Popular with our students.
Highly informative resources to keep your education journey on track.
Take the next step toward your future with online learning.
Discover schools with the programs and courses you’re interested in, and start learning today.