- Recognized in a Reuters ranking of "Most Innovative Universities."
- Ranks 38th on U.S. News and World Report’s list of "Best Public Universities."
- Offers $1,000 scholarships specifically for online undergraduate students.
- Non–residents pay the same tuition for online courses as in–state residents.
- Notable alums include Mildred Wirt Benson, who created the Nancy Drew series under the name of Carolyn Keene; author Flannery O’Connor; and journalist Tom Brokaw.
Founded in 1847, the University of Iowa (UI) was the first state university to admit men and women, and the first to house a recognized LGBT student group. Now UI enrolls 32,948 students across 200 majors, minors, and certificate programs. As Iowa’s oldest university, UI boasts state-of-the-art medical facilities and the renowned Iowa Writers’ Workshop. With 39 fully online programs and hybrid opportunities offered through its campuses in Quad Cities, Sioux City, Cedar Rapids, and Des Moines, UI demonstrates its commitment to online learning. As a member of the Association of American Universities, the school takes pride in its research-oriented faculty.
University of Iowa Statistics
|Required Standardized Test(s)||ACT or SAT|
|Accreditation||The Higher Learning Commission; Council on Social Work Education|
|Colors||Gold and black|
The University of Iowa’s Accreditation, Tuition, and Admissions Info
Accreditation and Approvals
The University of Iowa is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC). UI’s online social work programs are accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
|Undergraduate||$337 per credit|
|Graduate||$560–$1,120 per credit, depending on the program|
*Undergraduate cost per credit may change after the first year, when studies commence for the student’s major. Online students pay an additional technology fee.
Undergraduate applicants must submit ACT or SAT scores. Some programs have minimum ACT or SAT requirements. Applicants to some programs must calculate their Regent Admission Index, which weighs the student’s cumulative GPA against standardized test scores, class rank, and number of courses taken. For specific prerequisites, students should check their individual programs.
Graduate admission requirements vary by program. Students should check individual programs for GRE and GPA requirements, as well as prerequisites.
- Address: The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, 52242–3847, USA
- Phone Number: (319) 335–3500
- Social Media:
Online Degrees Offered
UI offers seven online bachelor’s degrees, eight online undergraduate certificates, seven online master’s degrees, four online graduate certificates, and one online doctoral degree.