- The first university in the country designed specifically for adult learners.
- Offers more than 100 areas of study.
- New undergraduate terms begin every month, 12 months a year.
- No on-campus residency requirement.
- Generous credit transfer policy.
The first university in the United States designed especially for adult learners, Thomas Edison State University provides distinctive undergraduate and graduate education for self-directed adults through high-quality, flexible learning and assessment opportunities. Approximately 95% of recent graduates report an excellent or good rating for the university, while 96% of recent graduates would recommend the university to others. The university also boasts numerous online program options for adult learners who have commitments that would otherwise prevent them from earning a degree, such as jobs or families. These programs follow a flexible, asynchronous format that lets students earn their degree while continuing their career.
The University is one of New Jersey’s 11 senior public institutions of higher education. Online degrees offered by TESU Online include associate, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degree programs. Students earn degrees through a wide variety of rigorous and high-quality academic methods that can be customized to meet their individual needs. The University is a national leader in the assessment of adult learning and a pioneer in the use of educational technologies. TESU is home to The John S. Watson Institute for Public Policy, and the New Jersey State Library is an affiliate.
Thomas Edison State University Tuition, Accreditation, and Admissions Info
- Undergraduate In-state: $7,519 per year; Nursing: $440 per credit
- Undergraduate Out-of-state: $9,967 per year; Nursing: $538 per credit
- Graduate Studies (varies by program): $668-$714 per credit
Accreditation and Approvals
Thomas Edison State University is regionally accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. The New Jersey Board of Nursing approves the W. Cary Edwards School of Nursing programs. TESU also holds accreditations for specific programs, including:W. Cary Edwards School of Nursing:
- BSN (accredited by CCNE)
- MSN (accredited by CCNE)
- DNP (accredited by CCNE)
- BSBA (accredited by ACBSP)
- MBA (accredited by ACBSP)
- MSHRM (accredited by ACBSP)
- MSM (accredited by ACBSP)
- Bachelor’s degree in Electronics Systems Engineering Technology (accredited by ABET)
- Bachelor’s degree in Nuclear Energy Engineering Technology (accredited by ABET)
- MA in Educational Leadership (accredited by CAEP)
Thomas Edison State University requires undergraduate applicants to hold a high school diploma or GED with a 2.0 minimum GPA, and be 21 years of age or older, or 18 years or older and a member of the United States military. The university does not admit applicants under 21 unless they are in the military.
All graduate applicants at the university must hold a minimum 2.75 GPA for their undergraduate coursework, submit essays and letters of recommendation, hold relevant work experience, provide transcripts from a regionally accredited undergraduate program, and complete an admissions application. Graduate admission prerequisites and application requirements vary by program. A GRE is not required.
- Total Enrollment: 15,272
- Student-to-faculty Ratio: 14:1
- Average Student Age: 35
- Cumulative Degrees Awarded: 61,750
- Year Founded: 1972
- Accreditation: Middle States Commission on Higher Education
- Public/Private: Public Nonprofit University
- Graduation Rate: 41.9%
- Colors: White and burgundy
- Address: 111 W State St, Trenton, NJ 08608
- Phone Number: (888) 442-8372
- Social Media: Facebook; Twitter; Instagram
Thomas Edison State University Rankings on TBS
- The Best Online Colleges for Military Personnel & Families
- The Best Online Colleges in New Jersey for 2018
- Online Colleges that Start Anytime
Online Certificate Rankings
- The 15 Best Online Certificate in Marketing Programs
- The 20 Best Online Certificate in Human Resources Programs
Online Associate Degree Rankings
- The 50 Best Online Criminal Justice Associate Degree Programs
- The 25 Best Online Associate in Human Services Degree Programs
- The 30 Best Online Associate in Computer Science Programs
Online Bachelor's Degree Rankings
- The 25 Best Online Bachelor's in Finance Programs
- The 15 Best Online Bachelor's in Business Intelligence Programs
- The 25 Best Online Bachelor's in English Degree Programs
- The 25 Best Online Bachelor's in History Degree Programs
- The 40 Best Online Bachelor’s in Homeland Security Programs
- The 50 Best Online Bachelor's in Liberal Arts Programs
- The 7 Best Online Bachelor in Mathematics Degree Programs
Online Master's Degree Rankings
- The 30 Best Online Master's in Educational Leadership Degree Programs
- The 8 Best Online Master's in Online Teaching Programs