- Provides credit for life experiences
- Offers credit for military training
- Offers a number of fully online programs
- Offers guaranteed price plan option for Texas residents
Sam Houston State University (SHSU), founded in 1879, is among the oldest public institutions of higher education in Texas. A member of the Texas State University System, SHSU consists of eight colleges and offers a range of academic programs including nationally recognized programs in mathematics, performing arts, banking, and criminal justice. Through SHSU Online, students can receive the same quality education as their on-campus counterparts. The university's innovative faculty teach both the university's on-campus and online courses, and all students have access to state-of-the art advancements and technologies.
Sam Houston State University's Accreditation, Approvals, Tuition & Admissions Info
Accreditation and Approvals
Sam Houston State University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges.
SHSU offers a Guaranteed Tuition Price Plan option for Texas residents enrolling as undergraduate freshman of transfer students.
- Undergraduate tuition -- $678.75 to $685.99 in-state / $1,093.75 out-of-state
- Graduate tuition -- $753.25 in-state / $1,168.25 out-of-state
Admissions and Transfer Info
Sam Houston State University's admission prerequisites and application requirements vary by program.
Undergraduate applicants must submit official high school transcripts and ACT/SAT scores.
Graduate applicants must submit an official transcript from their baccalaureate degree-granting college or university. Graduate applicants must have received at least a 2.5 GPA or a 2.8 in the last 60 hours of undergraduate coursework.
Depending on the program, the university also requires GRE, GMAT or MAT scores, a resume, document of intent and writing samples.
International applicants also must submit TOEFL scores.
- Student population: About 20,500
- Student-to-faculty ratio: 21 to 1
- Percentage receiving grant or scholarship aid: 72%
- Accreditation: Regional (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges)
- Region: South
- Retention Rate: 77%
- Requires SAT or ACT: SAT or ACT
- Public/Private: Public Nonprofit
- Acceptance Rate: 72%
- Graduation Rate: 51%
- Cost Per Credit (In-State/Out-of-State): Undergrad: $678.75 to $685.99 / $1,093.75
- Grad: $753.25 / $1,168.25
- Address: 1806 Avenue J, Huntsville, TX 77340 USA
Sam Houston State University Featured in TBS Rankings
Online Bachelor Degrees
- Ranked among The 25 Most Affordable Online Bachelor's Degrees in Criminal Justice Studies
- Ranked among The 30 Best Online Bachelor of Criminal Justice Degree Programs
- Ranked among The 45 Best Online Bachelor's in General Studies Programs
Online Master's Degrees
- Ranked among The 25 Best Online Master's in Educational Administration Degree Programs
- Ranked among The 25 Best Online Master in Higher Education Degree Programs
- Ranked among The 30 Best Online Master's in Education Degree Programs
- Ranked among The 25 Best Online Master of Criminal Justice Degree Programs
- Ranked among The 10 Best Online Master's in Internet Security Programs
- Ranked among The 24 Best Online Master's in Network Security Programs