- Award-winning online academic advisers
- eCampus Student Knowledge Center features resources, services, and tools for online learners
- Experiential learning programs award academic credit for professional, volunteer, and life experiences
Based in Athens, Ohio University offers educational programs at 11 campuses and centers throughout Ohio and online. Chartered by the Act of Congress 1787, and recognized by the new state of Ohio in 1804, OU’s first students attended in 1808. The first graduates of OU include future U.S. senator and cabinet member Thomas Ewing. Throughout its history, OU faculty and researchers have received more than 250 patents and more than 40 Pulitzer Prize winners are among its alumni. OU currently offers 250 academic programs, including five associate, 10 bachelor’s degrees, and over 50 graduate degrees and certifications online.
Ohio University Accreditation, Tuition, & Admissions Info
Accreditation and Approvals
OU is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. Forty of OU’s academic programs hold programmatic accreditation from accrediting bodies including the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology, AACSB International -- The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business, the National Council for Accreditation of Teaching Education, and the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
- In-state undergrads: $240 per credit hour
- Out-of-state undergrads: $243 per credit hour
- Graduate tuition varies by program. For example:
- Online master's in business administration in state: $1,028 per credit hour
- Online master's in business administration out of state: $1,047 per credit hour
- Online master’s in nursing in state: $597-$664 per credit hour
- Online master’s in public administration out of state: $819 per credit hour
Undergraduate applicants to OU submit an online application and $25 fee. Supporting documentation includes transcripts from high school or previous college coursework. Students applying to OU with nine or more hours of previous postsecondary coursework fall into transfer student status. Applicants also submit ACT and SAT scores and any additional program requirements, including essays, letters of recommendation, and personal statements.
Minimum requirements for graduate admission to OU include submission of a formal application and documentation from a bachelor’s degree. Individual programs hold additional requirements and varying application deadlines. Programs may require students to submit GRE or GMAT scores.
- No tuition increases in four years
- Student-to-faculty ratio: 17 to 1
- Amount of scholarship funds awarded to first-year students: $11 million
- Percentage of graduates employed or continuing study within one year: 93%
- Higher Learning Commission
- Full-Time Freshman Retention Rate: 80%
- Required Standardized Test(s): ACT, SAT, GRE/GMAT
- Public/Private: Public nonprofit
- Acceptance Rate: 74%
- Graduation Rate: 44%
- Athletics: Eastern Division of the Mid-American Conference; Division I
- Mascot: Bobcats
- Colors: Green and white
- Address: 1 Ohio University Drive, Athens, OH 45701
- Phone Number: 740-593-1000
- Social Media: Facebook, Twitter
Online Degrees Offered
Ohio University offers five online associate degrees and 10 bachelor’s programs online.
- Learners earn associate degrees in equine studies, individualized studies, science, arts, and business technology management.
- Bachelor’s programs include applied communication, customer service leadership, psychology, and nursing.
OU students can earn more than 50 graduate degrees, endorsements, licenses, and certificates online.
- Reading and teacher leadership endorsements and instructional design certifications supplement master’s degrees in curriculum and instruction, early childhood education, and educational administration.
- Learners can pursue business degrees in accounting, business administration, business analytics, and sports administration.
- Health sciences programs in nursing, social work, and health administration accompany certifications in healthcare leadership, nursing education, and school nursing.
- OU’s doctorate in nursing practices includes three short residencies while learners complete all other degree requirements online.