Northwestern State University of Louisiana Online
thebestschools.org is an advertising-supported site. Featured or trusted partner programs and all school search, finder, or match results are for schools that compensate us. This compensation does not influence our school rankings, resource guides, or other editorially-independent information published on this site.
Are you ready to discover your college program?
- All online-only students pay the same low rate, regardless of their residency status.
- NSULA is a public university with a high percentage of online learners.
- The university has prepared students for real-world jobs since 1884.
Established in 1884 as the Louisiana State Normal School, NSULA was housed in one building and offered two-year teaching degrees. The institution began offering four-year degrees in 1921, and the name changed to Louisiana Normal College. Today, NSULA retains its commitment to preparing the next generation of teachers. The school offers a host of online programs to accommodate distance learners.
NSULA’s Accreditation, Tuition, & Admissions Info
Accreditation and Approvals
NSULA is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. Other programs with specialized accreditation are as follows:
- Veterinary: American Veterinary Medical Association
- Business: Association for Advancement of Collegiate Schools of Business International
- Creative Arts: National Association of Schools of Art and Design
- Engineering Technology: Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology
- Nursing: Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education; Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing
- Social Work Bachelor’s: Council on Social Work Education
- Education Undergraduate: National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education
- Education Graduate: Council of Counseling and Related Educational Program
- Online Undergraduate: $375 per credit hour
- Online Graduate: $475 per credit hour
- Online All: After 12 credits per semester, each additional credit hour costs $100
- Tuition rates apply to online-exclusive students.
Admission standards for first-time freshmen depend on where they attend high school. Louisiana high school graduates must have 2.0 GPAs, and those with 2.35 or higher do not need to submit ACT scores. Other applicants need an 18 or above in English and 19 or above in math. The school also accepts equivalent scores on the SAT.
Each graduate program also possesses unique admissions requirements. Several programs request GRE scores. All graduate applicants should hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited university.
- NSULA educates 8,861 undergraduates and 1,070 graduate students.
- 33.28% of the university’s students are 25 years or older.
- 77.81% of all NSULA learners take some distance learning courses.
- Accreditation: Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- Full-Time Freshman Retention Rate: 70%
- Required Standardized Tests: ACT or SAT for undergraduates; GRE for graduates
- Public/Private: Public
- Acceptance Rate: 84%
- Graduation Rate: 42.7%
- Athletics: Division I, Southland Conference
- Mascot: Demons
- Colors: Purple, white, and orange
- Address: 175 Sam Sibley Dr, Natchitoches, LA 71457
- Phone Number: (318) 357-6011
- Social Media: Facebook; Twitter; Instagram
Online Degrees Offered
- NSULA offers one associate degree online in general studies.
- The university also features 16 bachelor’s programs with seven additional concentration options.
- Undergraduate degree candidates can complete any of the school’s 12 add-on certificates.
- At the bachelor’s level, the institution also offers a competency-based degree.
- Learners that already hold bachelor’s degrees can choose between four post-baccalaureate certifications, 20 master’s degrees, and 15 master’s concentrations.
- The university also provides a specialist degree with three concentrations, two doctorates, and three graduate-level certifications.
Popular with our students.
Highly informative resources to keep your education journey on track.
Take the next step toward your future with online learning.
Discover schools with the programs and courses you’re interested in, and start learning today.