New York University-NYU Online
Updated September 29, 2022 • 1 min read
thebestschools.org is an advertising-supported site. Featured or trusted partner programs and all school search, finder, or match results are for schools that compensate us. This compensation does not influence our school rankings, resource guides, or other editorially-independent information published on this site.
Are you ready to discover your college program?
- With over 60,000 students, NYU is one of the largest public universities in the country.
- The school’s alumni include four winners of the Nobel and Crafoord Prize, five Pulitzers, and seven Lasker award winners.
- A world-renowned university in the heart of one of the world's most vibrant cities.
Established in 1831, NYU added its college of arts and sciences the very next year. The schools of law, medicine, and engineering soon followed. Today, the university is one of the largest public postsecondary schools, with the New York campus covering five million square feet of indoor space. As NYU expands its distance learning programs, students can choose from numerous online degrees and certificates and over 100 course options.
NYU’s Accreditation, Tuition, & Admissions Info
Accreditation and Approvals
NYU is regionally accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. Many of the school’s programs hold specialized accreditation as well, including some of the online offerings. For example, the Society for Human Resources Management approves the human resource management master’s program.
The Council on Education for Public Health accredits the master’s in public health, and the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology oversees several engineering degrees. The American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business approves all levels of the business administration program. Several different organizations oversee the human and public services majors.
- Tuition rates vary based on the department and level of courses.
- Average tuition costs $51,828 per year.
- Students receive an average of $37,000 per year in financial aid.
NYU reviews each application individually and holistically. The exact admissions processes varies by program. Applicants should submit test scores for the appropriate levels and demonstrate impressive academic performance. Creative candidates may also need to send portfolios.
- Founded in 1831.
- The university has academic and research centers in 25 different countries.
- Alumni community features more than 500,000 members from the U.S. and 183 foreign nations.
- Accreditation: Middle States Commission on Higher Education
- Full-Time Freshman Retention Rate: 93%
- Required Standardized Tests: SAT/ACT/Three AP exams for undergraduates. Varies for graduates.
- Public/Private: Public
- Acceptance Rate: 20%
- Graduation Rate: 84%
- Athletics: NCAA Division III, University Athletic Association conference
- Mascot: Officially the Violets, Bobcat mascot as well
- Colors: White and violet
- Address: 27 West Fourth Street, New York, NY 10003
- Phone Number: (212) 998-1212
- Social Media: Facebook; Twitter; Instagram
Online Degrees Offered
- NYU offers over 1,000 certificates and degrees. While the university does not yet offer each of these online, available offerings continue to grow. The school provides two online bachelor’s degree options: social science with a concentration in organizational behavior, and leadership with several concentration options. Undergraduate learners may also enroll in individual online courses.
- At the graduate level, NYU offers 21 master’s degrees and one doctorate online. The doctorate serves hopeful occupational therapists. Master’s degrees are provided by the schools of public health, arts and sciences, public service, law, professional studies, education and human development, and engineering.
- Nine graduate certificate programs are available online, with more added all the time. These programs are available in the schools of public health, law, business, and engineering.
Popular with our students.
Highly informative resources to keep your education journey on track.
Take the next step toward your future with online learning.
Discover schools with the programs and courses you’re interested in, and start learning today.