thebestschools.org is an advertising-supported site. Featured or trusted partner programs and all school search, finder, or match results are for schools that compensate us. This compensation does not influence our school rankings, resource guides, or other editorially-independent information published on this site.
Are you ready to discover your college program?
- Founded by a retired U.S. Navy Captain, this university offers active–duty military and veteran tuition discounts and benefits.
- Offers more than 100 programs online and maintains over 20 campus locations in California and Nevada.
- Promotes an accelerated four–week course schedule for all degree, certificate, and credentialing programs.
Founded in 1971 by a retired Navy Captain, National University is the largest private nonprofit higher learning institution in San Diego. In addition to a comprehensive online division, the university maintains more than 20 campuses across California and Nevada. The university offers over 100 degree and certificate programs at the associate, bachelor’s, and master’s levels, including transfer-friendly distance learning options. NU provides deep tuition discounts for military members and veterans.
National University Statistics
|Full–Time Freshman Retention Rate||57%|
|Accreditation||WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC)|
National University Accreditation, Tuition, and Admissions Info
Accreditation and Approvals
National University is regionally accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC). The following agencies offer additional programmatic accreditation and approvals:
- The Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) accredits the Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
- The National Council on the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) accredits educator preparation programs
- Approved by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC)
- The California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN)Approved by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) accredits the bachelor of science in nursing program
- Designated as a Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education (CAE IAE) for the MS in cybersecurity and information assurance
- The American Bar Association (ABA) approves the bachelor of science in paralegal studies, associate of science in paralegal studies, and certificate in paralegal specialist
- The Association of Commercial Diving Educators (ACDE) approves the professional certificate in marine technology
- The California Association of Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors (CCADAC) approves the AS in alcohol and drug abuse counseling
- The Council on Education in Public Health (CEPH) accredits the master of public health (currently on probationary status)
- The Council on Accreditation for Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs (COA) accredits the MS in nurse anesthesia
- The Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (JRCERT) accredits the BS radiation therapy program
- Receives approval from the Nevada State Board of Education
- Certified by the Society of Human Resource Management for the MA in human resource management
- Membership in the American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (AACTE)
- Membership in the Council of Colleges of Arts and Sciences (CCAS)
- A member of the American Association of Intensive English Programs’ (AAIEP) American Language and Intercultural Studies program
|Undergraduate||$370 per quarter–unit|
|Graduate Studies (additional fees vary by program)||$430 per quarter–unit|
Undergraduate applicants with fewer than 60 semester units of transferable college coursework must be high school graduates and pass a high school proficiency exam. Additionally, applicants without college–level math or English experience must take the ACCUPLACER evaluation.
High school graduates transferring from a regionally accredited college or university must possess a minimum 2.0 GPA to receive unconditional admission. Applicants with a 2.0 GPA or below may be admitted on probationary status.
Individual programs may require additional prerequisites or admissions requirements.
- Address: 11255 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, California 92037–1011
- Phone Number: (844) 803–0818
- Social Media:
Online Degrees Offered
National University’s social sciences and psychology department offers 22 bachelor’s degrees and 10 master’s degrees online. The engineering and technology department offers nine bachelor’s programs, six master’s degrees, and two certificates online. The arts and humanities department offers three associate degrees, 18 bachelor’s degrees, and seven master’s degrees online. The teaching and education department offers 15 bachelor’s degrees, 11 master’s degrees, one doctoral degree, and one certificate program online. Business and marketing offers two associate degrees, 12 bachelor’s degrees, 12 master’s degrees, and one certificate online. Healthcare and nursing offers five bachelor’s degrees, four master’s degrees, and two certificates online. The criminal justice and law department offers eight bachelor’s degrees, five master’s degrees, and three certificates online. Science and math offers five bachelor’s degrees, four master’s degrees, and one certificate online.
National University Recognized as an Online College Leader
TBS has recognized National University as a leader of online education in the areas of art & design and liberal arts & humanities for having several ranking online programs in these areas, offered through the following departments:
Department of Journalism, Film, and Entertainment Arts
The Department of Journalism, Film, and Entertainment Arts, one of two departments comprising the School of Professional Studies at National University, offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in spotlight fields. Students may pursue topics of study including digital journalism, digital media design, film arts, digital cinema production, and professional screen writing. Its degrees include bachelor of arts, master of arts, master of fine arts, and online degree options, with accelerated delivery models and year round enrollment, all to serve the needs of a diverse, busy student population.
The Department of Journalism, Film, and Entertainment Arts offers online degree programs featured in the following rankings:
Department of Arts and Humanities
The Department of Arts and Humanities, one of four departments in the College of Letters and Sciences at National University, offers undergraduate and graduate degree programs in a variety of liberal arts fields. Students may pursue topics including English, Spanish, strategic communications, creative writing, and film studies, as well as general studies. With a liberal arts core and flexible education options including online degrees programs, accelerated course delivery, and year–round enrollment, the department serves students on their way to professional success in a diverse array of career fields.
The Department of Arts and Humanities offers online degree programs featured in the following rankings:
Department of Professional Studies
The Department of Professional Studies, one of two departments comprising the School of Professional Studies at National University, offers undergraduate and graduate degrees and certificates in a variety of career–focuses fields of study. Driven students may pursue topics including paralegal studies, homeland security, public administration, criminal justice, and juvenile justice. The department provides online degree options, with accelerated delivery models and year round enrollment, all to serve the needs of a diverse, busy student population.
The Department of Professional Studies offers an online degree program featured in the following ranking:
Department of Social Sciences
The Department of Social Sciences, one of four departments in the College of Letters and Sciences at National University, offers undergraduate graduate degree programs in fields including global studies, political science, social science, and sociology. The department’s degree programs in interdisciplinary studies and general studies provide students with personalized options for earning their education. With a liberal arts core and flexible education options including online degrees programs, accelerated course delivery, and year–round enrollment, the department serves students on their way to professional success in a diverse array of career fields.
The Department of Social Sciences offers an online degree program featured in the following ranking:
Popular with our students.
Highly informative resources to keep your education journey on track.
Take the next step toward your future with online learning.
Discover schools with the programs and courses you’re interested in, and start learning today.