- IU has offered distance education since 1978.
- Completely online, nonprofit school.
- Students receive a free, new laptop and tablet while in school.
- Open admissions policy.
While Independence University is now entirely online, the school originated in 1891 as several different schools. In 2005, the schools merged and the university took its current name. The university features four different schools: healthcare, business, technology, and graphic arts. Faculty possess real-world experience, and teach over 8,600 students. While most of these learners pursue undergraduate degrees, over 300 students are enrolled in graduate programs. New sessions start each month, so degree candidates can get started as soon as they wish. Through the Independence University student portals, students are able to access their courses, make payments, and take advantage of all the support services.
A new tablet is provided to all students free of charge to use while in school and keep after graduation.
Independence University Accreditation, Tuition, and Admissions Info
Accreditation and Approvals
IU is nationally accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges. The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education accredits nursing programs in the university, while the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care accredits the respiratory programs.
- Undergraduate: $16,968 for tuition and fees per year, regardless of state
- 88% of students receive federal grants
IU has an open admissions policy for learners with high-school diplomas or GEDs.
- Students can transfer up to 75% of undergraduate work or 25% or graduate credits with no fees.
- The school provides military-friendly benefits such as specialized counselors and scholarships.
- The faculty-student ratio is 22:1.
- Accreditation: Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges
- Full-Time Freshman Retention Rate: 63%
- Required Standardized Test: None
- Public/Private: Private, nonprofit
- Acceptance Rate: 100%
- Graduation Rate: 71.6%
- Colors: Red and Blue
- Phone Number: (800) 917-6391
- Social Media: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
Independence University Online Degrees Offered
- The school of healthcare offers one associate, four bachelor's, and two master's degrees online.
- Students in the School of Business have six bachelor's options.
- The technology school does not offer any associate programs, but does provide three bachelor's programs and one master's diploma.
- Learners in the graphic arts school can pick from two bachelor's programs.