Hampton University Online
thebestschools.org is an advertising-supported site. Featured or trusted partner programs and all school search, finder, or match results are for schools that compensate us. This compensation does not influence our school rankings, resource guides, or other editorially-independent information published on this site.
Are you ready to discover your college program?
- Comprehensive online students services include career support, disability services, counseling, and an online library.
- This military-friendly college accepts most military payment programs and veterans benefits.
- Offers the same tuition rates to learners from all states.
- Hampton University football will join the NCAA Division I Big South Conference in 2019.
- Hampton University notable alumni include Alberta Williams King, Booker T. Washington, and Wanda Sykes.
Founded on April 1, 1868 as the Hampton Normal and Agricultural Institute, the school is now Hampton University. As of September 2017, the private school hosts 4,619 students. Most students major in liberal arts, education, science, and business. Through Hampton University's Blackboard platform, the university offers a wide range of online undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
Hampton University Tuition, Accreditation, and Admissions Info
- Online Undergraduate: $300 per credit hour
- On-Campus Undergraduate: $23,762 per year
- Online Graduate: $695 per credit hour
- On-Campus Graduate: $11,881.00 per semester for students who enroll 10-17 hours
Accreditation and Approvals
Hampton U Online is regionally accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. The International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education approves Hampton U's business school and its programs.
Both the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education and the Commonwealth of Virginia approve the school's teacher training programs. However, learners do not need to be from Virginia to enroll. The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education approves the undergraduate nursing program. All nursing plans at Hampton U follow guidelines outlined by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing and the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Hampton University acceptance rate for undergraduate students is 36%. Undergraduate applicants must submit proof of high school graduation or GED, complete the online application, and pay a $50 fee. Candidates should also submit a short essay that details their 10-year goals and the ways that a degree from Hampton U will help them achieve these goals.
Learners with any military, college, or university experience must submit all previous transcripts and hold a 2.0 GPA or above. The school does not publish any other minimums for these candidates, and instead evaluates each applicant individually.
Prospective graduate students must first complete the online application to the general school and hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university. Learners must then meet the individual requirements for their desired program or department. Most of the master's programs have no additional requirements, except the education specialist track for counseling. Each doctoral program has its own admissions process.
- Women Students: 67.66%
- Out-of-State Students: 69.39%
- Degree Conferred May 2017: 856
- Accreditation: Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
- Full-Time Freshman Retention Rate: 78%
- Required Standardized Test: None
- Public/Private: Private, nonprofit
- Acceptance Rate: 69.1%
- Graduation Rate: 55.6%
- Athletics: NCAA Division I, Big South conference
- Mascot: Pirates
- Colors: Blue and white
- Address: 100 E Queen St, Hampton, VA 23669
- Phone Number: (757) 727-5000
- Social Media: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube
Hampton University Online Degrees Offered
- Three certificate programs
- Six associate degrees
- 10 bachelor's programs
- Three master's diplomas
- One specialist program
- Five doctoral degrees
Popular with our students.
Highly informative resources to keep your education journey on track.
Take the next step toward your future with online learning.
Discover schools with the programs and courses you’re interested in, and start learning today.