- Offers distance education programs exclusively.
- Dedicated to expanding educational opportunities for adult students.
- Online courses begin every eight weeks.
- Provides reduced tuition to active-duty military members and their families.
- Offers interest-free tuition payment plans.
Excelsior College is a nonprofit institution serving well over 35,000 students. The New York State Board of Regents founded the college in 1971, and it became a private, independent institution in 1998. Excelsior educates students across six disciplines: public service, nursing, liberal arts, health sciences, business, and technology. In total, the school offers over 30 associate, bachelor's, and master's degrees.
Excelsior aims to serve adult learners and populations historically underrepresented in higher education institutions. To this end, the school offers many flexible online degree options.
Excelsior College's Accreditation, Tuition, and Admission Info
Accreditation and Approvals
Excelsior is regionally accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. The college's nursing programs maintain accreditation by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, and the International Accreditation Council for Business Education accredits its school of business and technology. Some engineering and technology programs hold accreditation from the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology.
- Undergraduate (varies by program): $380-$510 per credit hour
- Graduate: $645 per credit hour
Each undergraduate applicant must submit an official transcript, an application, and their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Prospective nursing students must also submit copies of their active registered nurse licenses and official transcripts from their associate studies.
Prospective graduate students must submit official transcripts proving that they earned bachelor's degrees from regionally accredited institutions. Excelsior recognizes bachelor's degrees from non-regionally accredited universities as long as the institution holds accreditation from a U.S. Department of Education-approved organization.
- Date founded: 1971
- Average time to complete a degree: 2.7 years
- Average student age: 36.7 years
- Percentage of students who work full-time: 74%
- Graduates to date: 172,178
- Accreditation: Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
- Part-Time Freshman Retention Rate: 95%
- Required Standardized Test(s): None
- Public/Private: Private nonprofit
- Acceptance Rate: Open admission policy
- Colors: Purple and gold
- Address: 7 Columbia Cir, Albany, NY 12203
- Phone Number: (888) 647-2388
- Social Media: Facebook; Twitter; Instagram
Online Degrees Offered
Excelsior provides 100% distance education programs, including:
- Eight associate degrees
- 22 bachelor's degrees
- Nine master's degrees
- Two certificates