Columbia University Online
| TBS Staff
Are you ready to discover your college program?
- New York's oldest institution of higher learning, and the fifth-oldest U.S. university.
- The main campus features four performing and visual arts venues, a chapel, and a green market that serves students and Upper West Side residents.
- Co-founded Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center, the country's first research hospital.
- The long list of Columbia University notable alumni include Alexander Hamilton, Barack Obama, and Amelia Earhart.
A leader in higher education for more than 250 years, Columbia University encompasses two campuses in New York City, along with a state-of-the-art medical center and observatory facility. Online learning at Columbia includes degrees, non-degree programs, and certificates, in both traditional and emerging fields such as environmental science and sustainability, and health information technology. Columbia's online division features hybrid options and MOOCs, alongside full undergraduate and graduate programs; each provides an accessible professional education opportunity to all students. The university also hosts an ongoing public speaker series on the future of online education, free for students and faculty with a valid university ID.
Columbia University Recognized as an Online College Leader
TBS has recognized Columbia University as a leading of online education in the area of science & engineering for having several ranking online programs, offered by the following departments:
Department of Biomedical Engineering
The Department of Biomedical Engineering, part of the Fu Foundation School of Engineering at Applied Science at Columbia University, offers of undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral degrees in the biomedical engineering field. The department serves students with world-class faculty and research labs, curricula that prepare students for careers in areas such as biotechnology and biomedical imaging, and online course and program options.
Through the Columbia Video Network LMS, the Department of Biomedical Engineering offers an online degree program featured in the following ranking:
Department of Civil Engineering and Engineering Mechanics
The Department of Civil Engineering and Engineering Mechanics, part of the Fu Foundation School of Engineering at Applied Science at Columbia University, offers of undergraduate, and graduate doctoral degrees in the civil engineering field. Students in the program prepare for a variety of civil engineering careers in niche areas such as structural analysis and design, geotechnical engineering, construction engineering and management, and environmental engineering. Students benefit from access to research labs and active research projects, as well as online program options.
Through the Columbia Video Network LMS, the Department of Civil Engineering and Engineering Mechanics offers anonline degree program featured in the following ranking:
Columbia Video Network
The Columbia Video Network, the online LMS of the Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science at Columbia University offers a wide array of online master's degree, online doctorate degree, and online certificate programs in various engineering fields, as well as MOOCs. Students may pursue online degrees in topics such as mechanical engineering, civil engineering, biomedical engineering, electrical engineering, and computer science. Students earning degrees through CVN benefit from the flexibility of online education and online resources combined with Columbia's quality.
In collaboration with the departments of the Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science, the Columbia Video Network offers online degree programs featured in the following ranking:
Department of Mechanical Engineering
The Department of Mechanical Engineering, part of the Fu Foundation School of Engineering at Applied Science at Columbia University, offers undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral degree programs in the mechanical engineering field. Through a blend of core, specialization, and professional courses, students in the department prepare to enter or advanced in diverse mechanical engineering careers, in areas such as biomechanics, robotics, energy systems, and micro/nanoscale engineering. Students benefit from access to research programs and labs, as well as online program options.
Through the Columbia Video Network LMS, the Department of Mechanical Engineering offers an online degree program featured in the following ranking:
Columbia University Tuition, Accreditation, and Admissions Info
Undergraduate and graduate tuition varies by the number of program points each student pursues and their program of choice.
Accreditation and Approvals
Columbia University is regionally accredited by Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
The Columbia University acceptance rate is just under 7%. Admission prerequisites and application requirements for Columbia University vary by program. Generally, undergraduate applicants must submit official high school transcripts and official transcripts from any prior college coursework, along with SAT or ACT scores. Additional application materials include an autobiographical essay and two letters of recommendation.
Graduate admission requirements typically include official college transcripts, a resume, a recommendation letter, and a personal statement. Some programs require submission of a portfolio. Many require submission of GMAT or GRE scores.
- Student Population: 32,429
- Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 6:1
- Percentage Receiving Grant or Scholarship Aid: 50%
- Founded: 1754
- Accreditation: Middle States Commission on Higher Education
- Full-Time Freshman Retention Rate: 97%
- Required Standardized Test(s): SAT, ACT, GRE, and/or GMAT
- Public/Private: Private, nonprofit
- Graduation Rate: 95%
- Address: West 116 St and Broadway, New York, New York 10027
- Phone Number: (212) 854-1754
- Social Media: Facebook; Twitter; LinkedIn; Instagram; YouTube
Online Degrees Offered
Columbia University offers online undergraduate and graduate degrees and certificates through its schools of:
- Engineering and applied science
- Social work
- Professional studies
- Arts and sciences
- Earth Institute
- Columbia University Medical Center
Columbia University Rankings on TBS
- 100 Best Universities in the World Today
- The 50 Private Colleges with the Best Return on Investment
- The 100 Best Colleges and Universities by State 2018-2019
- The 100 Richest Schools Universities in North America 2018
- The Best Colleges Providing Free Tuition
Columbia University Online Programs
- The 10 Best Online Master's in Biomedical Engineering Programs
- The 19 Best Online Master's in Civil Engineering Programs
- The 50 Best Online Master's in Cybercrime Programs
- The 50 Best Online Master's in Engineering Programs
- The Best Online Master's in Database Management Programs
- The Best Online Master's in Mechanical Engineering Programs
- The 25 Best Master of Social Work (MSW) Online Degree Programs
Columbia University On-Campus Programs
- The 100 Best Business & Economics Programs in the World Today
- The 50 Best Mathematics Programs in the World Today
- The 100 Best Computer Science Programs in the World Today
- The 50 Best Chemistry Programs in the World Today
- The 50 Best Life and Agriculture Sciences Programs in the World Today
- The 50 Best Medical and Pharmacy Programs in the World Today
- The 50 Best Social Sciences Programs in the World Today
- The 50 Best Physics Programs in the World Today
- The Best Psychology Programs in the World Today
- The 20 Best Computational Linguistics Graduate Programs in the U.S.
- The 25 Best Master of Social Work Programs
- The Best Executive MBA Programs
Popular with our students.
Highly informative resources to keep your education journey on track.
Take the next step toward your future with online learning.
Discover schools with the programs and courses you’re interested in, and start learning today.