- Offers credit for military training
- Small class sizes
- Integrates faith into curriculum
Charleston Southern University (CSU), a Christian liberal arts university founded in 1964, has been nationally recognized for integrating faith in leading, serving, and learning. Affiliated with the South Carolina Baptist Convention, CSU is one of the state’s largest independent, accredited universities. All CSU programs feature a solid liberal arts foundation designed to help students hone their communication and problem-solving skills. CSU also integrates biblical principles across the curriculum.
Charleston Southern University’s Accreditation, Approvals, Tuition & Admissions Info
Accreditation and Approvals
Charleston Southern University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges.
- Undergraduate tuition -- $490
- Graduate tuition -- $625
Admissions and Transfer Info
Charleston Southern University’s admission prerequisites and application requirements vary by program.
Freshman applicants must submit ACT/SAT scores and official transcripts. CSU does not require SAT/ACT scores from applicants who are 21 or older.
Transfer students must have at least 24 transferable credit hours with at least a 2.0 GPA. They also must have completed courses equivalent to Math 111 and English 111. Applicants who haven’t met those criteria must submit official high school and college transcripts as well as SAT/ACT scores.
In terms of transfer credits, CSU will accept up to 68 credit hours from a two-year school and 89 credit hours from a four-year school, but no more than 30 elective credit hours.
International students also must submit proof of English language proficiency and a completed International Student Financial Statement.
Graduate program applicants must submit a career and professional goals statement, a resume, official transcripts from all institutions they’ve attended, GRE or MAT scores or proof of 3.5 GPA, and letters of recommendation.
International graduate applicants must submit two letters of recommendation, GMAT scores, a resume, TOEFL scores, official transcripts from all colleges or universities they’ve attended, and a completed International Student Financial Statement.
- Student population: About 3,600
- Student-to-faculty ratio: 14 to 1
- Percentage receiving grant or scholarship aid: 95%
- Accreditation: Regional (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges)
- Region: Southeast
- Retention Rate: 70%
- Requires SAT or ACT: SAT or ACT
- Public/Private: Private Nonprofit
- Acceptance Rate: 61%
- Graduation Rate: 36%
- Cost Per Credit (In-State/Out-of-State): Undergraduate: $490/ $490
- Graduate: $625/ $625
- Address: 9200 University Blvd., Charleston, SC 29406 USA
Charleston Southern University Featured in TBS Rankings
- Ranked among The Best Online Colleges in South Carolina
- Ranked among The 100 Best Online Colleges for 2018
- Ranked among The 30 Best Online Christian Colleges
- Ranked among The 25 Best Schools for Studying the Bible