Appalachian State University’s Online Programs | TheBestSchools
Updated September 2, 2022 • 2 min read
thebestschools.org is an advertising-supported site. Featured or trusted partner programs and all school search, finder, or match results are for schools that compensate us. This compensation does not influence our school rankings, resource guides, or other editorially-independent information published on this site.
Are you ready to discover your college program?
- 99% of faculty members hold the highest degree in their field.
- Military members receive a discounted tuition rate and application fees are waived.
- Special tuition rates for online students.
- Appalachian State University football is coming off their fourth straight bowl win and third straight Sun Belt Championship.
Located in Boone, North Carolina, Appalachian State University is sprawled across the Blue Ridge Mountains. The university is one of 17 universities in the University of North Carolina system and enrolls nearly 20,000 students. The diverse student body features 16.2% of students who identify as racially and ethnically underrepresented. Appalachian State boasts a variety of online programs, giving students a flexible environment to earn their degree.
Appalachian State University Recognized as an Online College Leader
TBS has recognized Appalachian State as a leader of online education in the area of education & teaching for having several ranking online programs, offered through the Department of Leadership and Educational Studies, Department of Curriculum and Instruction, and Department of Reading and Special Education.
Department of Leadership and Educational Studies
The Department of Leadership and Educational Studies, housed in the Reich College of Education at Appalachian State University, provides students with graduate and professional degree program options for studying subjects such as higher education, library science, school administration, and educational media. Students in the department prepare for leadership roles in diverse educational settings, and benefit from online resources, including virtual educational consulting. The Reich College of Education is accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
The Department of Leadership and Educational Studies offers online degree programs featured in the following rankings:
Department of Curriculum and Instruction
The Department of Curriculum and Instruction, part of the Reich College of Education at Appalachian State University, offers undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs of study focused on advancing curriculum development and instructional methods in classrooms at various levels. Students may pursue degrees in subjects including elementary education, middle grades education, business and technical education, child development, and theatre arts. The department prepares graduates for careers such as curriculum specialist, instructional technology specialist, and director of curriculum. The Reich College of Education is accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
The Department of Curriculum and Instruction offers online degree programs featured in the following rankings:
Department of Reading and Special Education
The Department of Reading and Special Education, housed in the Reich College of Education at Appalachian State University, focuses on developing the skills and knowledge necessary for graduates to excel in teaching literacy to young students, as well as meeting the unique needs of students in special education programs. The department offers undergraduate and graduate degrees and certificates in topics including special education, reading education, and autism spectrum disorder. The department also offers accelerated 4+1 degree programs. The Reich College of Education is accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
The Department of Reading and Special Education offers online programs featured in the following rankings:
Appalachian State University Tuition, Accreditation, and Admissions Info
- In-state undergrads: $3,754 each semester
- Out-of-state undergrads: $11,199 each semester
- Distance education in-state undergrads: $163.05 per credit hour
- Distance education out-of-state undergrads: $663.55 per credit hour
- In-state grads: $3,950 each semester
- Out-of-state grads: $10,666 each semester
- Distance education in-state grads: $266.51 per credit hour
- Distance education out-of-state grads: $925.01 per credit hour
Accreditation and Approvals
Appalachian State University is regionally accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
Appalachian State University admissions require undergraduate applicants to complete an application, meet the 2.7 minimum GPA requirement, provide transcripts and ACT or SAT scores, and fulfill the prerequisite requirements.
Graduate applicants must complete an application, provide GRE, GMAT, or MAT test scores, submit letters of recommendation, hold a minimum GPA of 3.4, and complete all other program-specific requirements.
- Student-to-faculty ratio: 16:1
- Percentage of students receiving scholarships or financial aid: 70%
- Date founded: 1899
- Accreditation: Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
- Full-Time Freshman Retention Rate: 86%
- Required Standardized Test(s): ACT or SAT for undergraduates and GRE, GMAT, or MAT for graduates
- Public/Private: Public coeducational university
- Acceptance Rate: 66.4%
- Graduation Rate: 69.7%
- Athletics: NCAA Division I
- Mascot: Yosef
- Colors: Black and gold
- Address: 287 Rivers St, Boone, NC 28608
- Phone Number: (828) 262-2000
- Social Media: Facebook; Twitter; Instagram
Appalachian State University Online Degrees Offered
- 11 online bachelor's programs
- 17 online master's programs
- One online doctoral program
Appalachian State University Rankings on TBS
- The Best Online Colleges in North Carolina for 2018
- The 50 Most Affordable Online Four-Year Colleges for Bachelor's Degrees
- The 20 Best Music Therapy Bachelor Programs
- The 40 Best Bachelor's in Social Work Degree Programs
- The 50 Best Online Bachelor's in Nursing Programs
- The 7 Best Online Bachelor's in Internet Marketing Programs
- The 50 Best Online MBA Programs
- The 25 Best Online Master's in Higher Education Degree Programs
- The 25 Best Online Master's of Library and Information Science Degree Programs
- The 25 Best Online Master’s in Educational Administration Degree Programs
- The 30 Best Online Master's in Curriculum and Instruction Degree Programs
- The 30 Best Online Master's in Elementary Education Degree Programs
- The 30 Best Online Master's in Special Education Degree Programs
- The 30 Best Online Master’s in Reading Programs
- The Best Online Doctorate in Reading and Literacy Programs
Popular with our students.
Highly informative resources to keep your education journey on track.
Take the next step toward your future with online learning.
Discover schools with the programs and courses you’re interested in, and start learning today.