American University Online | TheBestSchools
Updated August 29, 2022 • 1 min read
thebestschools.org is an advertising-supported site. Featured or trusted partner programs and all school search, finder, or match results are for schools that compensate us. This compensation does not influence our school rankings, resource guides, or other editorially-independent information published on this site.
Are you ready to discover your college program?
- 92% of graduates report that they are working, in graduate school, or both.
- The campus is carbon neutral, amounting to 10,000 vehicles off the road.
- Top employers for American University graduates include the U.S. Army, the Peace Corps, and Teach for America.
- American University notable alumni include Goldie Hawn, Star Jones, and Paul Ryan.
Founded in 1893, American University is the first university to reach carbon neutrality, as 100% of the university's electricity comes from renewable sources. With an urban campus in the heart of Washington, D.C., this research university offers a growing amount of flexible online programs to meet the demands of busy students. Using the online learning platform Blackboard, American University offers nearly 20 online programs to graduate students and more than 100 online courses.
American University Tuition, Accreditation, and Admissions Info
- Undergraduates: $23,820 for full-time with 18 credit hours
- Graduates: $1,708 per credit hour
- Professional MBA students: $1,563 per credit hour
- Law students: $27,786 for full-time with 17 credit hours
Accreditation and Approvals
American University is regionally accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools.
Undergraduate applicants at American University must submit an application, their SAT or ACT scores, letters of recommendation from a teacher and school guidance counselor, a $70 application fee, and send a mid-year report from their high school counselor. Prospective freshman must also satisfy all prerequisite coursework before admission.
Graduate applicants have different application requirements for each school and program within the university. Schools within the university include the American University Washington College of Law, College of Arts and Sciences, the Kogod School of Business, the School of Communication, the School of International Service, the School of Professional and Extended Studies, and the School of Public Affairs.
- Student-to-faculty ratio: 11:1
- Percentage of students receiving scholarships or financial aid: 80%
- Date founded: 1893
- Accreditation: Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
- Full-Time Freshman Retention Rate: 90%
- Required Standardized Test(s): SAT or ACT for undergraduates and GRE for graduate students
- Public/Private: Private co educational research university
- Acceptance Rate: 35%
- Graduation Rate: 81.7%
- Athletics: NCAA Division I
- Mascot: Eagles
- Colors: Red and blue
- Address: 4400 Massachusetts Ave. NW, Washington, DC 20016
- Phone Number: (202) 885-1000
- Social Media: Facebook; Twitter; Instagram
Online Degrees Offered
American University offers:
- 18 online master's programs
- One online undergraduate certificate program
- Six online graduate certificate programs
American University Rankings on TBS
- The 50 Best Video Game Design Schools
- The 30 Best Online MPA Programs
- The 15 Best Online Master's in Communications Programs
- The 25 Best Online Master's in Sport Management Degree Programs
- The 25 Best Online MBA in International Business Degree Programs
- The 35 Best Online Master’s in Human Resources Programs
- The Best Online Master's in Economics Programs
- The Best Online MBA Programs with No GMAT Required
Popular with our students.
Highly informative resources to keep your education journey on track.
Take the next step toward your future with online learning.
Discover schools with the programs and courses you’re interested in, and start learning today.