- Same tuition rates for in-state and out-of-state students.
- Military-friendly reputation that allows qualified veterans to attend for little or no cost.
- Diverse student body that represents students from 43 states and 57 countries.
Founded in 1863 as Adelphi Academy, the school began as a private preparatory school in Brooklyn, New York. In 1896, Charles H. Livermore converted the academy into Adelphi College, the city’s first liberal arts college. By 1929, Adelphi was the first coeducational, private higher learning institution on Long Island. Today, the university comprises a College of Arts and Sciences; the Ruth S. Ammon School of Education; the School of Nursing; the Gordon F. Derner School of Psychology; the Honors College; the College of Professional and Continuing Studies; and the School of Social Work. Adelphi University eCampus features online programs from most of the colleges at Adelphi. Adelphi University athletics compete at the NCAA Division II level. The Adelphi Panthers are a member of the Northeast-10 Conference.
Adelphi University Tuition, Accreditation, and Admissions Info
- Undergraduates: $36,920 each year
- Undergraduates in social work, nursing, and education: $37,160 each year
- Graduate tuition varies depending on the program and college
Accreditation and Approvals
Adelphi University is regionally accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. The university also boasts programmatic accreditation for several programs, featuring accrediting agencies, such as the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, the Council on Social Work Education, and the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education.
Freshman applicants must complete an admissions application, pay a $40 application fee, submit a 500-word personal statement or essay, provide high school transcripts, SAT or ACT scores, and submit one or more letters of recommendation. Prospective students can submit optional supplemental materials, such as a resume, and also use ZeeMee, a free service that allows them to add short videos and photos to their college application. Students who use ZeeMee can share more about their accomplishments and interests to help them stand out during the admissions process.
Adelphi University admissions requirements for graduate programs vary based on the college and specific program of interest. For example, applicants to the master of science in environmental studies must submit their undergraduate transcripts, two letters of recommendation, and a personal essay. Conversely, students applying for a master’s degree in psychology must hold a minimum 3.0 GPA, submit two letters of recommendation, a personal essay, and provide their undergraduate transcripts.
- Student population: 8,146
- Student-to-faculty ratio: 10:1
- Percentage of students receiving scholarships or financial aid: 98.9%
- Date founded: 1863
- Accreditation: Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
- Full-Time Freshman Retention Rate: 83%
- Required Standardized Test(s): SAT for undergraduate applicants and GRE for graduate applicants
- Public/Private: Private
- Acceptance Rate: 72.2%
- Graduation Rate: 64%
- Athletics - Northeast 10 Conference Division II
- Mascot: Panthers
- Colors: Brown and gold
- Address: 1 South Ave. Garden City, NY 11530, USA
- Phone Number: (800) 233-5744
- Social Media: Facebook; Instagram; Twitter
Online Degrees Offered
Adelphi University offers one online associate degree and one online bachelor’s degree.
- The university’s school of social work offers one online master’s program, while the Ruth S. Ammon School of Education offers three online master’s programs.
- The College of Nursing and Public Health provides students with two master’s options.
- Additionally, the university’s online emergency management program draws from the College of Nursing and Public Health, the Ruth S. Ammon School of Education, the College of Arts and Science, and the Robert W. Willumstad School of Business.
Adelphi University Rankings on TBS
- The Best Online Colleges in New York for 2018
- The Best Online Colleges for Military Personnel & Families
- The 15 Best Online Bachelor's in Emergency Management Programs
- The 10 Best Online Master's in Emergency Management Programs
- The 20 Best Online Master's in Homeland Security Degree Programs
- The 25 Best Online Master's in Sport Management Degree Programs
- The 30 Best Online Master's in Health Informatics Degree Programs
- The 25 Best Online Master's in Supply Chain Management Programs