Welcome to The Study Lounge. And keep your voice down! People are reading!
Just kidding. You can make all the noise you want. For all we care, you can rewrite the lyrics to Sir Mix-a-Lot’s “Baby Got Back” using world capitals and sing it in the mirror as a mnemonic device. You do you. We won’t judge. We’re just here to help.
The Study Lounge is The Quad’s official headquarters for exam preparation, essay-writing, and generally grooming yourself for academic excellence. We’ve got learning strategies, study starters, testing tips, and mega-playlists, basically everything you need, whether you’re starting a research project or you’re waist-deep in exam season. From advice on improving your study habits to bite-sized glimpses of big topics, we’re here to simplify the process.
And contrary to an actual, physical study lounge, you aren’t surrounded by a bunch of yutzes jabbering on cellphones about stuff that, in your opinion, is way too personal to discuss in public. On the other hand, if you’re an online student and you’ve come here for the feeling of a real life campus lounge, just haul your laptop over to a local coffee shop … maybe just leave your Sir Mix-A-Lot performance at home.
Our Study Starters give you the key facts and get you on your way. Time is tight. Use these resources to brush up for your exams, find direction on an essay topic, or prepare for Quizzo Night. If you’re looking to get deep, join a book club. If you’re looking to get the facts and get on with it, you’ve come to the right place.
- 10 Organizational Leadership Styles
- 20 Common Forms of Government
- 12 Controversial Research Topics (with Resources) to Help You Get Started
- 18 Major World Religions
- 15 Logical Fallacies You Should Know before Getting into a Debate
- 20 Major Philosophers and Their Big Ideas
- 20 Famous Psychologists from History
Find intriguing people:
- 15 Top Climate Change Scientists: Consensus & Skeptics
- 25 Living Black Scholars You Should Know
- 50 Most Influential Living Psychologists
- 50 Top Women in STEM
- 50 People Who Deserve a Nobel Prize
- 50 Greatest Living Artists
- 50 Most Influential Scientists in the World Today
- 50 Most Influential Living Philosophers
- 50 Most Important Living Musicians
- 50 Greatest Living Geniuses
- 10 Most Controversial College Professors in the U.S.
- 50 Smartest People of Faith
- 50 Top Atheist in the World Today
- Find more people, institutions, and interviews
Get practical advice on how to structure a college essay. Add some new techniques to your study routine. Learn how to truly get the most out of the online research process. And while you’re at it, feel free to ask us for advice in the comments sections. We’re around. (Frankly, we spend way too much time in front of the computer.)
- How To Write a Research Paper (The Short Version)
- How to Write a Research Paper: 10 Steps + Resources (The Longer Version)
- 7 Quick Tips for Writing a Great Persuasive Essay
- 10 Tips To Improve Your Online Research
- Online Exam Tips You’ll Be Thankful For
Give your gray matter a treat for all the hard work it does. These Spotify playlists are designed using empirically tested principles of neuroscience to give you the most cerebral listening experience possible. Well, not really, but they are killer study mixes. Whether you like rock, jazz, hip hop, blues, country, folk, classical, international, ambient, electronic, funk, soul, fusion, or polka, we’ve got something here to satisfy. If you’re looking for Nickelback, move it right along. Otherwise, remember what the dormouse said: "Feed your head."
And follow us on Spotify to see our constantly growing collection of mixes!
The Savvy Student’s Guide to Study Skills
As part of our series of Savvy Student’s Guides, we looked specifically at making the most of study time. Each chapter offers a more detailed look at the strategies, techniques and even the bigger lifestyle decisions that you can make in order to become the Savvy Student you always dreamed you could be:
- Debating Ideas
- Working in Groups
- Personal Well Being
- Time Management
The Study Lounge is always adding new resources — more Study Starters, more learning tips, more music. Hey, maybe we’ll even put in a few pool tables and a Keurig next semester. In the meantime, bookmark us so you can keep our references at your fingertips, stay up to date on new additions, and tell us if there are any topics you’d like to see us cover.
And of course, good luck on all your essays, exams, and — really — just at life in general.