A degree in business administration will prepare you to fill leadership roles in small businesses, large corporations, financial institutions, and government agencies. While some professions may come and go based on the current market and technological advancements, organizations always need qualified, effective leaders.
At the associate degree level, you’ll develop the fundamental knowledge and skills necessary for entry-level work in sales, office administration, or management. At the bachelor’s or master’s degree level, you’ll prepare to pursue or advance a career in organizational leadership. At the doctoral level, you’ll earn the highest degree in your field, as well as expert knowledge applicable to business practice, research, or academia.
Many business administration programs come with a variety of specialization options, allowing you to focus your studies toward achieving niche professional goals, such as information technology, marketing, or finance. Whatever the chosen path, if you seek to build a successful career in business, a degree in business administration provides an excellent starting place.
With plenty of online degree programs available, earning a degree in business administration has never been easier. Especially for small business owners looking to better manage or even expand their business, or busy professionals in entry-level management jobs looking to climb the corporate ladder, online business administration programs can provide great value, flexibility, and convenience.
To learn more, read our What Can I Do with a Business Degree?
Check Out These Fun Facts
- There’s no business administration like show business administration; plenty of celebrities — including Kevin Costner, Lionel Richie, P Diddy, Cate Blanchett, and Clint Eastwood — spent time studying business. If for some reason you don’t become a star of stage or screen, your business degree can provide great career flexibility.
- Who doesn’t like being popular? Business administration degrees routinely rank among the most popular degree programs available.
- For professionals with significant experience, many schools offer executive MBA programs that provide an accelerated and practice-oriented program of study.
- For the jet-setting crowd, international MBA programs often include international residency components in major global centers of international business and commerce, such as London or Tokyo.
- Some employers offer tuition reimbursement programs for individuals who earn an MBA, covering the cost of courses, and sometimes, entire degrees. Individuals employed full time should check to see if tuition reimbursement is included in their benefits package.
- Individuals who earn an MBA typically see a significant raise in their salary. What’s more fun than a higher income?
For an idea of what you can do with a degree in business administration, and how much you can earn doing it, check out the following data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The BLS identifies common careers for business administration degree holders, as well as median annual salaries for 2017 and job outlook growth predictions for the period 2016–26:
- Advertising, promotions, and marketing manager — $129,380, 10% growth outlook;
- Chief executive — $104,700, 8% growth outlook;
- Compensation and benefits manager — $119,120, 5% growth outlook;
- Financial manager — $125,080, 19% growth outlook;
- Human resources manager — $110,120, 9% growth outlook;
- Sales manager — $121.060, 7% growth outlook.
To learn more about top job prospects in your field, check out The 10 Best Jobs for MBA Graduates.
Find the Best Schools!
Looking to get started on your degree program? Check out these rankings to learn more:
- The 20 Best Online Associate of Business Administration Degree Programs
- The 25 Best Online Bachelor of Business Administration Degree Programs
- The 50 Best Online MBA Programs
- The 25 Best Online MBA in International Business Degree Programs
- The 20 Best Online MBA in Management Information Systems Degree Programs
- The 25 Best Online MBA in Finance Degree Programs
- The 20 Best Online MBA Entrepreneurship Programs
- The 10 Best Online MBA in Sustainability Degree Programs
- Best Online Master’s and MBA in Project Management Degree Programs