Contest is closed!
Thank you to all who submitted rebuttals.
We have selected a winner:
Announcing our Global Warming FCD $5,000 contest winner!
Just days before his inauguration, President Donald Trump consulted with physicist William Happer to discuss global warming (AKA "climate change") (Washington Post, Jan. 13, 2017: “Trump meets with Princeton physicist who says global warming is good for us”). What came out of that meeting may determine the future for climate policy in the U.S.
And it may also be your opportunity to refute the influential scientist who has the ear of the president.
In April 2016, TheBestSchools.org sponsored a Focused Civil Dialogue between William Happer and David Karoly entitled “Karoly–Happer Dialogue on Global Warming.” Dr. Karoly has chosen to leave the Dialogue.
This is William Happer's position:
There is no scientific basis for the claim that atmospheric CO₂ increases will have any adverse effects on humanity and nature. In fact, burning fossil fuels limits real, harmful pollutants and the CO₂ released will bring major benefits to agriculture and other plant life.
We want you to assume Dr. Karoly's role in this dialogue. In other words, you have an opportunity to rebut Dr. Happer by defending the following position:
Science has established that increases of atmospheric CO₂ will adversely affect humanity and natural systems, and that the burning of fossil fuels must be suppressed.
David Karoly provided a major statement, but a detailed response to Happer is now up to you.
TheBestSchools.org is soliciting a 6,000- to 8,000-word response to William Happer's major statement. Deadline for submissions is Friday, March 31, 2017. Along with your submission, please include a C.V. to establish your credentials to speak on this topic.
For context, Dr. Happer's major statement appears as part of this Focused Civil Dialogue:
- Karoly–Happer Dialogue on Global Warming
- You will be taking on "Rounds 3 and 4" of a Focused Civil Dialogue
TheBestSchools.org staff will (shortly after the contest deadline, at dates to be decided):
- Select the three best responses to Dr. Happer's major statement, as evaluated by our staff, and post them on our site.
- Choose the most compelling detailed response, which will be published on our site and will be declared the winner.
- Require the winning author to provide a 3,000-word “Final Reply” to William Happer. Upon receipt of the final reply, TheBestSchools.org will present the winner with $5,000.
Do you have an effective response to President Trump's advisor? Make your best case before a waiting world. You may even help save it in the process.
TO SUBMIT YOUR RESPONSE & C.V. …
- Please review the existing Focused Civil Dialogue on Global Warming to become familiar with the responses so far by both participants.
- Create, in English, a 6,000- to 8,000-word detailed response to William Happer's Major Statement. Your document and your C.V. establishing credentials must be submitted in PDF, DOC, DOCX, or RTF format.
- Include the following contact information in the detailed response document before the main text:
- Your first and last name
- Your primary email address
- Your preferred phone number (with best days and times to reach you)
- Your city, state/province, and country
Or use this submission form...
Thank you for your responses, and the best to you as you engage Dr. William Happer in this exciting dialogue!